Free wood

letsroll

After talking to some people and climbing several times at a local crag I feel inspried to help fix it up. I can't climb hard and don't know how to develop routes so I am left with fixing up the trail to the crag. My idea is to make steps down the hill (the current ones made out of dirt suck).

So I am looking for free wood to make the steps out of (old pallets). I will use the wood to hold back the dirt and use rebar to anchor the wood inplace.

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

how soon do you need it? what lengths? I have pressure treated 2x's, mostly 2x6, and some 4x4's too. I think I have about 100' of the 2x's and maybe 50' of the 4x's. it is all used material but in pretty good shape, good enough for dirt steps, should still last a long time. located in Olympia, let me know if you are interested.

Will

Talk to me about this, i got a few hundred years of trail experience under my belt. If it's west of the cascades pressure treated will last a lot longer. Is there rock on site? I've got rock picks as well. Maybe we could sit and draw it out. The grade of the trail has a lot to do with how you construct your steps as well.

JL

Get on the trail down the other side. It needs to be graded better.

There is parking on that end! Look for a big tree, step over the guardrail when you see the orange tag and "bingo" right there.

Make it smooth and even is all, shouldn't be tough.

Edited by billcoe

Roc that is perfect. I am in now hurry, and if I was I would not be able to get on it for at leas two weeks. I think I am looking into november by the time I get started on it. I have access to a tacoma truck with a snug top on the bed. Will that be enought room to get all that wood? When do you want to get rid of it?

Jlag I would like to tap into your knowledge. One trail is established and easy to fix up. The other side is a major redew I think and on that side there is rock to use. I will talk to you some time this week about it.

I agree billcoe that side is really bad. I was going to start on the easy stuff first and where it is mostly traveled right now. That other side will take a lot more work, you are basically going to have to put in an all new trail.

After talking to some people and climbing several times at a local crag I feel inspried to help fix it up. I can't climb hard and don't know how to develop routes so I am left with fixing up the trail to the crag. My idea is to make steps down the hill (the current ones made out of dirt suck).

So I am looking for free wood to make the steps out of (old pallets). I will use the wood to hold back the dirt and use rebar to anchor the wood inplace.

Thanks so much for all the trail work you will or have done. What crag are you going to do this at?

Kevin

same place where "Extreeeeeeeeme squeeze job at a local PDX/Van crag."

ALso after looking at that line, are we grid bolting there now? If we are then scratch my statement about not being able to put up new routes ;)

Is it still there? The Extreeeeeemmeee squeeze job? Not for much longer. And not that is not an excuse to start grid bolting other horrible routes.

IMG_1323.JPG

That trail is in need…..since the popularity is getting out of hand, the trail keeps falling down the hill. All involved with development has helped out at one time or another with the trail. But, every year it gets worse and worse. The best time to fix it is in the winter when the ground is soft. Summer is a bitch to dig into ground out there. Thanks in advance for all your work…..PM me and let me know when….I will try to make it to help out….I could potentially get others to help as well.

I agree billcoe that side is really bad. I was going to start on the easy stuff first and where it is mostly traveled right now. That other side will take a lot more work, you are basically going to have to put in an all new trail.

Not so, go look 1st. If you really want to help out I have outlined what I think the best course of action.

Think it over.

Ivan, I took care of it last year. Top and bottom. That tree Kev and those folks yanked down was re-bushing and I nuked it. I will say that the top needs to be hit with roundup again. That is, if we can get permission from "Clif" who doesn't want to pull it, but doesn't want to have it sprayed by anyone else.

Secret? Maybe not....but the access issue is not completely resolved so.......try your best to carpool and keep the crowds down….thanks…..and no accidents………if you can help it.

K

This is why I said to do the trail on the far side by the other parking area where NO one parks!

BUT EVIDENTLY NO ONE GIVES A FU*K WHAT I SAY OR THINK!!!!!!!!! It's like talkin to my kids that way. Wait, they at least do what I tell them.

btw, that trail is there, it needs to be made gentler. I am speaking from 35+ years of f*ing with such things, it would be easier to touch up the far side trail. Really! Trust me Letsroll, I'm not just blowing hot air -ask any one who knows me. Seriously.

Peter: Kevbone would be a good dude to hang with here for you and he'll give good belay as well as an interesting running dialog. Really. He's a good dude and great company and the folks who give him grief about his postings on this site just don't know him. Joseph is someone else who you should contact to take a ride up Beacon too. Both of them have different real personnas that don't gibe with their online personalities. Joseph in particular, has facial expressions in person (like smiling) that do not get seen in print here.

Bone in full on "TM Herbert" spray mode below with red rope bag, "Clif" warming up to belay me and we're in both full on geriatric mode on a FA of ... . I forget what those dudes named it....Jimmy O has a route list.

Kevin_E_Saturday.jpg

Kev, Ujhan and I went and rap/cleaned your route off that we trashed. It was pretty clean...I took the right and he took the left. The route we did that day still needs to be cleaned and I will do it this winter when my other play areas are closed.

Edited to add...Larry named it "Before the Storm", cause after I topped out and yelled down "off belay", he was down there dicking around fooooevvver, while I'm tied off to a fir tree as the rain is starting while watching this dark massive squall head right towards us from across the Colombia River. So I yell down to slow Ethel there [font:Arial Black]Hey dude, it's starting to rain up here." [/font] Larry leisurely yells back " [font:Arial Black]Yeah? It is down here too! [/font]

:lmao:

Cracked me up! Ya gotta love the guy.