What's up with windproof,breathable nylon?

ryland_moore

I just received a pair of overboots (will not name the company b/c I think they make excellent gear), and the overboot was advertized as having windproof nylon uppers. After looking at them (I could see light through the pours on the uppers)I could blow air through the nylon. How is this windproof? It definately is breathable! I held it over my face and could breathe effortlessly through the material. Any suggestions/insight about this or how this makes it windproof?

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

quote:

Originally posted by bolt clipper:

If air can pass through the fabric, then it is not windproof. Breathable, yes, but then so is mosquito netting.

wind•proof

Pronunciation: (wind'prOOf"), [key]

—adj.

resisting wind, as fabric or a jacket or coat.

I think that it could let some wind through and still be wind"proof". I don't know if there is a windproof "industry standard" like there is for waterproof?

quote:

Originally posted by snoboy:

I think that it could let some wind through and still be wind"proof". I don't know if there is a windproof "industry standard" like there is for waterproof?

I coulda swore I've seen something relating to flow metrics outlined in Gore Windstopper packaging or maybe in REI's buyer guide handouts. [Confused]

I know this much... I have a Marmot windstopper jacket that's one of the best investments I've made. Pricey, but great stuff.

quote:

Originally posted by iain:

you'll never see a louder shouting match than between two climbers wearing windstopper hats with earflaps.

"Forget the windproof films for hats, though: Unless you puncture the film with a thousand tiny needle holes around the ears, you won't be able to hear falling stones or shouted belay commands." Dr. Doom fr. _Extreem Alpinism_

Here is 40 Below's reply to my asking why they advertise the uppers of the K2 Superlight overboots as windproof when they are not. I guess Mountaineers around the world can't be too wrong if they continue to use the product on the world's highest peaks!

quote:

You do indeed have the K2 Superlight ( the Everest has a rubber sole on the bottom). We use a Cordura nylon that is "windproof" by the typical definition, and yes you can blow air through it. Maybe we should say wind resistant. The reason we use this is to allow for moisture to escape.

We specifically do not use a "waterproof/ breathable" (which actually do not "breath" at all) such as Gore-Tex because you are the moisture source in extreme cold temperatures.