ROTC question

Wakaranai

I was wondering how ROTC compares to climbs like Clean Crack or Crime of the Century as far as difficulty goes. I have heard some people say that ROTC is light for an 11c but others have said different. Does it pro nice all the way? Someone mentioned a wide flare high up? Gear to 3 inches? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

-Brandon

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The "wide flare" is an awkward pod up high where you can get a decent rest- then you exit that on splitter hands/thin hands (#1 and #2 BD).

It's different than Crime of the Century and Clean Crack, it's steeper, but with more secure jams.

I thought it felt like 5.10-. When I said that my partner about punched me. Still, I think it fells easier than the grade. Nevertheless, a classic. The climb is thin hands, rattley fingers and maybe a handjam or two. Its really more of an endurance climb more than anything. Easier than Clean Crack and Crime. But both of those are finger cracks that are kinda slabby and yout on your feet.

Somebody should go up and rebolt the Dagoba System. Looks like a killer line. Whats the name of the 11d down and to the right of ROTC? Looks nice. Stevens Pass Motel?

Edited by TimL

When you pull into the flare, pull in with your right side in. You can't switch to use the rest if you pull in left side in. I think clean crack is easier than rotc (and not nearly as good).

Tim, you are so right about Dagobah system. The moves are thrilling but a little licheny.

It probably depends who you talk to, but ROTC is way more physical than the Squamish climbs you mention. The hardest move is probably 10+ but until you reach the hand crack below the pod, there aren't too many great rests, probably because it's slightly over vertical.

Clean Crack has a disco crux and feels relatively relaxing (once climbed it with four stoppers and a swammi belt). My first trip up ROTC (with MisterE) was 5 feet short of success when I couldn't squirm through the pod, due to fatigue and too much clothing. Even if you're cold, strip down when you're ready to climb. You'll heat up quickly. Two years later I nailed it but it felt even harder. Scotty Hopkins was on jumars photographing and I've got a calendar-quality shot of him as well as photos of a very young Jason Mikos making it look easy. I'll see if I can locate them.

Easter Overhang is one of the best 5.10 climbs in the Washington. There used to be a fixed bong and some jugs so good you could cut your feet loose for a spectacularly exposed dip into the chalk bag.

Great pics, Id love to see more. If its even better than clean crack then Im really stoked to try it. Was hoping this weekend but the weather....!@%$#$. Oh well I suppose its not going anywhere. The Sting looks like a pretty cool approach pitch, and easier than the others mentioned. Ill need to save all the juice I can to get up ROTC. Thanks for the Beta!

-B