Soft Shell Question

troubleski

Patagonia dimension seems real nice. The cut is awesome, and the fabric is heavy (7! oz), so it will be real durable. Sure, it's $225, but from what I've heard it works great. Oh, by the way, don't buy the Essenshell jacket, as the hood sucks, no way to get the thing to fit over a helmet. Otherwise, sew your own with a microfiber shell and fleece lining.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

quote:

Originally posted by bolt clipper:

Patagonia dimension seems real nice. The cut is awesome, and the fabric is heavy (7! oz), so it will be real durable. Sure, it's $225, but from what I've heard it works great. Oh, by the way, don't buy the Essenshell jacket, as the hood sucks, no way to get the thing to fit over a helmet. Otherwise, sew your own with a microfiber shell and fleece lining.

You should be able to phone order one from their Dillon MT outlet store for about $180. Phone # is on the Patagucci website.

As best I can tell the whole point of the soft shell "push" is that you:

1. Look good

2. Get to spend big bucks so you think that you have gotten the latest technology.

3. Have a water resistant, breathable shell that doesn't sound like a shower curtain every time you move.

But really? In the mountains? Wind DOES pass right through and they do not insulate, so you need to use additional insulation. The applications where this material might be useful is under strenuous activities like fast cross-country skiing or hiking up some steep hill with a heavy pack in the trees. But once you break out of the trees or get up on a ridge and the wind hits, you realize that you have been had by the manufacturers marketing machine. In essence you are wearing a useless additional layer.

It seems like an alternative compared to the $500+ they are charging for some of the goretex parkas nowdays, but don't fall for it. I would agree with some of the other gear opinions from this site and look to cheaper stores for fleece. Just hit it with some water repellant NickWax. But for your rock climbing exploits, I really don't know what material is tough for that?

Yes, as I age, I am becoming a cheap old fart. [sleep]

quote:

Originally posted by Bronco:

quote:

Originally posted by bolt clipper:

You should be able to phone order one from their Dillon MT outlet store for about $180. Phone # is on the Patagucci website.

They've been on special at the Outlets for as low as $99

• 4 weeks later...

Very funny, trad man. And you only wear wool knickers or painter's pants, right?

Incidentally, DFA did actually buy some Prana shorts a while back, but they don't stretch, which is pretty lame, and they bunch up all to hell under a harness. Metolius clothing all the way. And, as you astutely point out, a down jacket. Standing around in the cold is cold!

Ok, bickerers...stay on topic here or go bicker at eachother in Spray.

I have always been impressed with how windproof schoeler fabric is. I've had a pair of Pat. Talus pants for years and they still work great.

I'm not sold on the jacket concept though. They seem to heavy. I like the windshirt witha light shell option. My .02$

Oh and Layton, not all retail employees are clueless.

As long as you keep moving Schoeller is the answer. Throw on the down when you stop. This combo rules for winter stuff - I stay way warmer, drier, and more comfortable with this setup than I ever did in shell gear.

The only times I've worn a hard-shell top since getting Schoeller gear three years ago has been while resort skiing (lots of time sitting on the lift in high winds) in the winter and in the midst of full on downpours.

I went ice cragging with a guy in the rain. He wore the patagucci Dimension and REI scholler pants. We were in the rain for 2.5 hrs. He got soaked. I wore a homemade windsuit. I got soaked. I'm beginning to wonder about these softshell things. Sure, they're durable and windproof, but it seems that unless there is no precipitation, you will not be dry.

Ah yes, but how would I really know how much softshell+rain sucks without going through the suffering personally? A mellow day at the ice caves was the perfect opportunity to learn that I don't want to wear Schoeller in a rainstorm. Now to test it in snow!

Slothrop is a character from a book, Gravity's Rainbow. I like it because it's a stupid awkward word, and because the character gets all the ladiez.