Almost famous

nolanr

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I shot the shit with Chuck Berry one time for about 20 minutes. It was at a nite club, and we were both in the lobby chillin'. I started bullshittin' with this little guy, and finally just asked, "heh, you CB?" yep. I didn't lick his balls, and we talked bout' normal stuff. He was cool.

He and his entourage were just passin through...no big thing.

quote:

Originally posted by trask:
I shot the shit with Chuck Berry one time for about 20 minutes. It was at a nite club, and we were both in the lobby chillin'. I started bullshittin' with this little guy, and finally just asked, "heh, you CB?" yep. I didn't lick his balls, and we talked bout' normal stuff. He was cool.

He and his entourage were just passin through...no big thing.

Trask we all konw you licked his scrotum grin.gif" border="0 That is what's on your tape!

This is RURP. You guys are all groupies. You read about these people in magazines and now they are all your "friends". Did you hear the news? Timmy cut his finger and now he can't go climbing for a while! And Beth just climbed a crack that is really hard for girls! And Todd and Paul are quite the gang! rolleyes.gif" border="0

I need no other heroes then myself striving to do my Big Wall best.

RURP has spoken.

quote:

Originally posted by RURP:
This is RURP. You guys are all groupies. You read about these people in magazines and now they are all your "friends"......I need no other heroes then myself striving to do my Big Wall best.RURP has spoken.

In the two experiences I mentioned previously, I either was just minding my own biness when I was approached by the people mentioned or happened to wander by where they happened to be.And I gotta say that Al Steck's and Fred Beckey's reputations predate any mag I've viewed (which brings up the point that I quit buying climbing periodicals when the number of pages of ads superceded the number of relevant content pages.) No grouping here.

Now, watching Lisa Gnade do a painful(and improbable)looking highstep on Model Worker...that's another story...

[ 12-21-2001: Message edited by: ScottP ]

RURP the cool thing about "famous" climbers is that they are normal approachable people and average climbers like us can hang out and drink beer with them. I personally think its cool to meet someone who can free a 5.14 trad route on El Cap for example. If they're a chode I wouldn't want to hang out with them no matter how hard they climb, but most rad climbers are pretty cool. Thanks for being so morally superior to all us "climbing groupies" bro

quote:

Originally posted by RURP:
This is RURP. You guys are all groupies. You read about these people in magazines and now they are all your "friends". Did you hear the news? Timmy cut his finger and now he can't go climbing for a while! And Beth just climbed a crack that is really hard for girls! And Todd and Paul are quite the gang!
rolleyes.gif" border="0
I need no other heroes then myself striving to do my Big Wall best.RURP has spoken.

BURP: Your yabber about how lame everyone is for being groupies is at least as lame as being a groupie! Get of ya' fuckin high horse!

Also make sure to check out how much you bug me in "Where were you a year ago? And now?"

later. Nice name, by the way. (honesty) That isn't bragging about your "big wall experience", is it? (sarcasm)

dave brannon

This is RURP: Mr. Max: "get off my high horse". How did you know that my last El Cap route was called "Horse Chute"? Were you those other guys across from us to whom we gave the sardine and chesse sandwiches on the top? I bet you are glad that is over! You do not have to like my attitude or groupies. I don't care; live as you please. But OK groupies, your famous climbers are waiting for you to hang out with them and buy them some beer and maybe a tasty dinner. rolleyes.gif" border="0 And oh yah, "Also make sure to check out how much you bug me in "Where were you a year ago? And now?" I read that and it was boring and not very nice. I am happy to know that I can cross you off the list of potential groupies although you can still buy me beers and dinners.RURP has spoken.

[ 12-21-2001: Message edited by: RURP ]

I said: Now, watching Lisa Gnade do a painful(and improbable)looking highstep on Model Worker...that's another story...

quote:

Originally posted by Matt Anderson:
A story worth telling . . .

Rob and I were climbing Model Worker one fine spring day. I am just finishing leading it, when this woman walks up to the base of the route and starts talking to Rob; asking him what the route is, etc. I experience a bit of concern as Rob has a substantial weakness for redheads and has been known to be less than attentive at belaying in the best of circumstances. I, however, manage to get to the ground safely under my own control. By this time the woman has walked over to her pack to get her harness on because Rob has offered her a toprope. I quietly ask him if he recognizes her, and am surprised when he doesn't because he knows everybody. Anyway, I tell him who it is and moments later she is tying into the rope. For those of you who know Model Worker, there is a point between the first and second bolt where you are standing on a little ledge and have to do a backstep sort of thing (at least that's how I do it) to gain the slanting corner. Rather than do this back step, Lisa places her left foot up where her left hand is (looks to be about shoulder height from the ground) and proceeds to slowly rock her weight onto her foot. Rob and I are stunned by the "flexibility and control" exhibited. She cruises the rest of the route. After reaching the ground, we make small talk and find that she is here to take a look at City Park. Rob offers her a belay, but soon after doing so, precipitation happens and we are denied the opportunity to see her work on City Park.

Now listen here, Mr. Jay-B Hangdogger, or B-Jay Horndogger, or whatever your name is, and Special-Ed, or Special-K, or Frosted-Flake, or whatever your name is. I happen to hold views that parallel Mr. RURP's views when it comes to the groovie groupie thing. "Gee, the really neat thing about some of these superclimbers is how unassuming they are when you meet them. You find out that they're just regular guys, the kind of guys with whom it's fun to drink beer." I've met a number of these guys myself, and I've shared a number of beers with such characters, and they are easy to drink with...who isn't? Drinking beer ain't supposed to be difficult, whether with a big alpine star like Messner, or with some wanna-be chump like that sperm-burpin' RURP.

Actually, big-shot climbers needn't be pretentious: they're only impressing a handful of idiots anyway. I used to tutor the son of the UW's most famous quarterback, a folk-hero with enornous appeal. He could have had an enormous ego but didn't. That a "famous" climber seemed down-to-earth shouldn't surpise us...maybe he just knows how insignificant mountaineering is within in the big picture.

Finally, those who think RURP and Pope are "avatars" (BTW, this word and "freshy" are lamer than Lame Bone), I offer this old post as proof that we are distinct entities:

pope Rope Lead Member # 410 posted 12-12-2001 07:17 PM --------------------------------------------------------------------------------Packin' for Joshua Tree? Now that we know why you're packin', may I ask, WHAT are you packin'? Or, should we ask, "Whom are you packin?" I think I know the answer to this. BTW, how is Ass-master Hemlock these days? When you get to the Tree, don't let that guy eat any day-old burritos, know what I mean? And make him pack a couple of extra pairs of undershorts, just in case.For the auction, I've got a some items I was going to give to RURP for Christmas. For example, a little manual discussing self-rescue, on second thought, would be for RURP doubly useless: you actually have to get up on a wall before you'll need a rescue, right? Not to mention, I'll bet RURP couldn't find his tallywacker with a six-man search party. How's he going to rescue himself?

Then I purchased a pair of those stealth spider mits, the ones you use for cheating up fist cracks and such. RURP had lost a pair and I thought I'd surpise him, save him the hassle of replacing them. As soon as I purchased them, RURP called to say that Schlangenschlager had found them .... well, he found him while self-administering an enema one night.

[ 12-22-2001: Message edited by: pope ]