RECALL: Petzl Charlet Sarken crampon

Eric_at_Petzl

Petzl just formally posted a recall on our website for all Petzl Charlet Sarken crampons. This is specific to the Sarken model only -- no other Petzl Charlet crampons are affected.

For more information, please go to: http://en.petzl.com/petzl/SportNews?News=193

Distributor contact information for your specific country is available in the notice on our website. We will happily discuss any concerns and your replacement options with you personally.

Thank you,

Eric Wynn

Communications Manager

Petzl America

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've had mine for ~3 years and I figured since the website says to NOT use them, I decided I would heed the warning. As far as the hook up, they said they would take care of sending them back and getting a new pair of either Sarkens (though the website says they have stopped manufacturing them) or I told them my second choice would be the Vasaks. They didn't think there would be any costs, but would let me know. Nice folks there.

Recent customer experience has shown that the front points of SARKEN crampons are susceptible to premature wearout following heavy use. This means cracking of the metal forefoot near the front point(s), followed by possible breakage if usage continues.

In retrospect, I would have kept them. If I get another pair, fine. I honestly don't care. These have been working just fine and I have no reason to think they wouldn't have lasted for years. I'm never about taking advantage of anyone. Free crampons or not. Frankly the recall, though noble for Petzl, in some respects wasn't necessary. It wasn't about failure, it was about wearing out more quickly than anticipated. The warning to stop using them immediately, wasn't necessary.

I'll let you guys know how it ends up.

anybody have experience with the dartwin? Might be a reasonable alternative/replacement to the sarken? Is the lack of antibot on the front piece that bad?

I considered that one. But in full evaluation of what I ACTUALLY do most often, M10...Vasak...M10...Vasak. I want the Sarkens, but I chose the Vasaks.

As my father once reminded me years ago, "we used to do steep routes [in the NW] with little more than a modified cork-boot. Whatever is out there, I'm sure will work fine for you."