Car Talk

Toast

I have a noise coming out of my car that has me worried. It’s kind of a blend of a rattle and knock… knaka-naka-naka-naka that rises subtly on the highway when I take my hand off the steering wheel. Yes, there’s a little road vibration that’s transmitting to the steering wheel. I noticed it ever so subtly two or three weeks ago, but this weekend, it’s suddenly bad enough that I think I need to get it fixed.

My question is, do I need to get this fixed asap, or just soon.

Year: 1997

Make/Model: VW GTI VR6

Transmission: 5 speed manual, front wheel drive

Also, can somebody recommend a good VW mechanic in Seattle – not the eastside… I need to be able to ride my bike to it.

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, you should get this ooked at ASAP. There are a number of things that it could be, some no big deal, others have nasty consequences.

1. Tires - could be a wear/alignment issue, could be running on cords. Risk of blowout

2. Alignment - Causes uneven wear on tires, noise, pulling, small steering issues

3. Ball joint - Worn ball joints are an annoyance for the most part. If you let them go too long they can pop loose, loosing steering on a side.

4. Wheel bearing - this seems the least likely cause. A bad bearing can cause a fire.

First, rotate your tires and see if the problem persists. Sometimes tires used on a lot of logging roads can suffer internal delamination that causes stranger problems. I've driven myself nuts trying to figure out a VW front end problem that turned out to be a delam tire. Missing tire weights can also cause wobble problems that can aggravate failing struts.

Based on the age and likely mileage of your car, I'd guess that you're probably in for new front stuts and possibly a wheel bearing if you haven't done these yet. Those things usually start to show up on VWs at about 125-150,000 miles. Wheel bearings usually rumble more than knock, but you never know. It could also be a CV joint, but that usually shows up first when turning, not going straight. Failed tie rod ends usually don't show up until a bit later on VWs unless you have a lot of log-road miles and abuse on the car.

Good luck.