Bearly alive

archenemy

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

AMERICAN FORK, Utah (AP) - An 11-year-old boy was attacked and killed by a black bear as he slept in a tent with his family, police said.

The boy, sleeping alone in a section of the large tent, screamed before he was dragged away in his sleeping bag Sunday night in a canyon about 30 miles southeast of Salt Lake City, said sheriff's Lt. Dennis Harris.

The boy's body was found about 400 yards from the tent in the direction of another campsite where a bear sighting had been reported earlier in the weekend, Harris said.

Authorities were searching for the bear Monday.

American Fork Canyon is a popular camping destination. Harris said the family was camping about two miles up a dirt road from a popular campground

I can honestly say after having "charged" a bear last week, I would have attacked that fucking thing if it were eating my kid. It is possible that this did, indeed, happen and it just wasn't reported in this very short article. Who knows what trauma that family went through? Just awful. And I am sorry that the bear will be killed for it, but I have to admit I'd want to kill an animal that did that to a family member of mine. It's all very sad.

Strange that the article does not acknowledge that it appears to be a predatory attack. It certainly sounds like it to me, particularly considering the earlier encounter by the same bear. I'd feel really bad if I were the earlier person who was attacked and had the means to kill the bear, but didn't - only to have it come back and kill a child.

Strange that the article does not acknowledge that it appears to be a predatory attack. It certainly sounds like it to me, particularly considering the earlier encounter by the same bear. I'd feel really bad if I were the earlier person who was attacked and had the means to kill the bear, but didn't - only to have it come back and kill a child.

Good point, but they probably wantedto be good campers and not kill local wildlife. Who would think a black bear would do that?

Kid should played dead.

You're not supposed to play dead when attacked by a black bear. Black bears often attack for predatory purposes - whereas brown / grizzly bears most often attack for territorial purposes. If you are attacked by a black bear fight like hell and chances are you'll survive unscathed.

Did they have food in the tent?

Article said no. Din't know you fight like hell with a black bear. Lets hope it never comes to that but I hope the 9mm is big enough. Few hollow points through the head may piss him off but it might give him a good headache too.

The current theory is that you play dead if charged after surprising a black bear. If they bear doesn't stop batting you around pretty quick, then fight back. If you're followed or attacked in a tent, fight back because it's likely a predatory attack from the onset. Before about 10 years ago, predatory attacks by black bears were considered rare and the advice was always to play dead. Predatory attacks seem a lot more common, or perhaps just now people have better information.

And yes, I think a 9mm with 15+ rounds would stop a 300 pound black bear.

BTW, never play dead if a couger comes after you ...

The current theory is that you play dead if charged after surprising a black bear. If they bear doesn't stop batting you around pretty quick, then fight back. If you're followed or attacked in a tent, fight back because it's likely a predatory attack from the onset. Before about 10 years ago, predatory attacks by black bears were considered rare and the advice was always to play dead. Predatory attacks seem a lot more common, or perhaps just now people have better information.

And yes, I think a 9mm with 15+ rounds would stop a 300 pound black bear.

BTW, never play dead if a couger comes after you ...

I've heard that in the past... but I think the theory is changing up here. Most people I know who have been attacked by a black bear tell stories of going ape on the bear with sticks, ice axes, trekking poles or whatever is near. Lying comatose on the ground while the bear takes a few bites out of you could potentially mean you're screwed before you can fight back.

I've been charged a few times - but luckily have never been chewed on or batted. (Knock on wood!) and if Mr or Mrs Black Bear charges me I'm going to fight like hell!

Likewise the macho gun thing is pure machismo; unless you're Rambo or take cop classes in your spare time chances are you're more likely to shoot yourself in the foot then shoot the bear. I know many many people who do very remote trips - and none of them carry guns and none of them have ever had a problem. On the other hand every other weekend you hear about a redneck who got charged on a popular trail outside town and had to shoot the bear. Furthermore - the only person who I know who has ever been munched on by a brown bear never carries a gun claiming that he'd rather take his chances then be hindered by a ridiculous weapon. To me that says a lot.

I think it is hard to tell what you would really do in the situation--regardless of what you have been told. I have found that it is in my nature to fight, whether I am armed or not, no matter how poor my chances might seem or how stupid it is to do so. I just can't help it.

me too. i think i would be totally devastated by that. and i have to agree with archy. if a bear were eating one of my babies there isn't a thing in the universe that would be able to stop me from charging in. it is possible that is totally wrong and stupid but it wouldn't stop me.

OK these folks were in the super-uber deluxe giant size car camping tent. the little boy had his own little alcove in this monster tent. its possible that his parents did try and go after the bear. i can only imagine the chaos that must've been going on. by the time they got out of the tent the bear was probably well on its way out of ther with the boy. somehow i doubt the parents sat idly as the bear attacked their child.

this is such a tragedy for all parties.

There was a story from about 4 years ago at Priest Lake in North Idaho, where a momma bear and cubs wondered into a campsite with a mother and her too kids. Momma bear, quickly found the ice chest and ripped open for a nice little feast. The whole bear family decided the tent looked like a comfortable place to sit, so the sat down with the family inside, and enjoyed their new picnic lunch, and then calmly wandered off. :noway:

Mom then of course not so calmly bundled everyone into the car and got the hell out of there. No one was hurt but the ice chest :P