Mountie Alert:: Royal Columns

Toast

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll be the one getting in their way, putting up ropes and leaving them there to give them some of their own medicine.

I agree, a holiday weekend? Fuck the mounties.

We don't hang ropes were are not actively using. I'm sorry if you have encountered people who do that. If you see a route with a rope hanging and no climbers, you have a right to ask that that rope be pulled so you can climb the route.

I happened to climb at the Columns on a day when Brian was out there with one of his groups and they were, if anything, more considerate and conscientious with regards to route-hogging than most of the other random groups that I've encountered while cragging.

Also, with groups like that, the odds are good that most of the folks participating will be relatively new to climbing, and you shouldn't have too much trouble getting on the 9's and 10's if that's the grade that's most interesting for you.

Just a heads up to folks heading to Tieton Canyon. The Everett Mountaineers are running their Leading on Rock classes at Royal Columns May 26-27 and next weekend, June 2nd and 3rd. We'll work around other climbers at the crag and yield to routes not being climbed, but Western Front and Rap Route are going to be crowded.

Thanks,

tt

Bump.

We'll have four pairs of students learning to lead at Royal Columns this weekend, June 02-03.

The Basic Mountaineering Course (BMC) of YVCC will be having their first rock climbing day this Saturday, June 2, at RC. The second group will be out at RC the following Saturday as well, June 9. Just a heads up reminder, paired with a hi-jacking of Toast's thread. :)

There are only 11 students in the class this year, and the total will be split into two groups, so no group will be larger than a half dozen plus a couple of instructors. And the students will not be leading, so they should cycle through the easier routes rather quickly. I think they'll concentrate to the left end of the cliff.

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a battle.

...sobo

If you call hanging out on the same 3 routes for 6 hours not clogging up routes....sure.

jlag, I bet if you were kind enough to approach either one of these groups and ask if you could lead the route they were on, or even to share their top-rope, they would not only oblige, but would probably learn a lesson from you since you are such a superior climber. Of course, a bad attitude and anti-social behaviour will always lead to the same results. I've had bad experiences with the Mounties in the past, but with that point of view, I can see they many things have changed.

disclaimer: I am not a Mountie

Never said i was a superior climber, sure as hell not there. I was just commenting on the FACT that they did clog routes, that's all. I was very friendly to them, hello's how are you's all that bag. I too have had HORRIBLE encounters with Mountie groups at Smith. We're they in my way, no. Did they clog routes, yes. Simple.