no climbing

sk

it just sunk in about 20 minutes ago, that the doc i saw today has forbade me from climbing for the foreseeable future. i can't hike with a pack, i can't hike far. just moderate walking. i can bike and swim all i want. i think i really am going to have to learn to aid, or i will go insane.

:cry:

That sucks....why? Are you ok?

i will be. it is just planter fasciitis which is apparently not uncommon for people who hike back pack or run. after all the stuff i read last night i just need to get with the program and into shoes that work with my feet, get my insoles, heal and then i am GOLDEN :moondance:

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Never listen to the doctors Muff. The doctor once took one look at my face and told me that i would never have sex again. Thus far she has been correct, but doesn't mean I quit trying!

:lmao::lmao::lmao:

never ever ever give up ;)

As for "injuries never going away", um yeah. I think that is true to a certain extent, but I still believe that you can heal almost anything [nearly] completely.

That's b/c you are twentyfuckingthree sweetums. Ah, the inocense of youth, I just love it. I want to pinch your cheeks you are so cute.

As for "injuries never going away", um yeah. I think that is true to a certain extent, but I still believe that you can heal almost anything [nearly] completely.

That's b/c you are twentyfuckingthree sweetums. Ah, the inocense of youth, I just love it. I want to pinch your cheeks you are so cute.

he has that effect on me too :blush:

it is now a matter of mitigating the damage and working around all the injuries. what doesn't kill you makes you set priorities ;)

Risin' up, back on the street

Did my time, took my chances

Went the distance, now I'm back on my feet

Just a little green man and his will to survive

So many times, it happens too fast

You change your passion for glory

Don't lose your grip on the dreams of the past

You must fight just to keep them alive

It's the eye of the tiger, it's the cream of the fight

Risin' up to the challenge of our rival

And the last known survivor stalks his prey in the night

And he's watchin' us all in the eye of the tiger

Muff:

I've broken both feet and had plantars from running down Beacon (only 2 laps did me in!)in flat soled climbing shoes, hang in there and it gets better.

Gent, who is a climber and a PT, gave me 3 things which I remember helping.

1) When you wake up in the AM, before you get out of bed. do stretches of your feet. I would start by just rolling them around and letting them stretch , then later would pull on them some with my hands.

2) when you are watching TV, take a rolled towel and by rolling it under your feet, lightly work it and your muscles.

3) Buy insoles for your shoes. EVERY pair you are wearing. Do'n't pad out of bed without a pair of supportive footwear either. I bought the green superfeet from REI. They are damned expensive, but better than the alternative.

Give yourself time to heal, good luck! :wave:

Now about Marylou and that hairbrush in hand.....hmmmmm

Muff:

I've broken both feet and had plantars from running down Beacon (only 2 laps did me in!)in flat soled climbing shoes, hang in there and it gets better.

1) When you wake up in the AM, before you get out of bed. do stretches of your feet. I would start by just rolling them around and letting them stretch , then later would pull on them some with my hands.

2) when you are watching TV, take a rolled towel and by rolling it under your feet, lightly work it and your muscles.

3) Buy insoles for your shoes. EVERY pair you are wearing. Do'n't pad out of bed without a pair of supportive footwear either. I bought the green superfeet from REI. They are damned expensive, but better than the alternative.

I am curious about the insole thing--this sounds like the opposite advice Layton gave. Or do these work well when alternating with lots of barefeet around the house?

Don't go barefoot, ever, if you want to get better! The reason climbing is bad for your feet is that rock shoes are essentially the same thing as standing around in bare feet.

I've found that if I climb at Stone Gardens where the ground is covered with pea gravel, it doesn't bother my feet nearly as bad as standing on a hard surface.

Muffy, is there a gym you can go to that has gravel?

I am curious about the insole thing--this sounds like the opposite advice Layton gave. Or do these work well when alternating with lots of barefeet around the house?

Post a link from Layton where he advised this. I'm not a medical person, but I would think having support for your feet would be very important.

I thought we were talking about plantar fasciitis. I guess Muffy has a couple of issues going on, right? the PF plus the broken bone?

Speaking for myself, if I walk around on hard surfaces in bare feet, my heel pain will be horrible the next morning. I put insoles in my slippers.

Edited by catbirdseat

Our feet evolved for walking over surfaces that yield, like, dirt, turf and sand. Hard surfaces are the bane of bare feet.

yeah, like there's no rocks in caves. :rolleyes: or in deserts for that matter. ever seen East African Rift? there are plenty of hard surfaces.

the quote about rock shoes being like bare feet is equally ridiculous.

I ran the Capital City Marathon the other day. I saw a couple of guys do that barefoot. Ran the whole goddam marathon barefoot. One of them passed me in the 10th mile and we chatted for a minute. He looked like he was in his 60s.

I looked up some stuff about barefoot running when I got home. I go barefoot a lot, but haven't tried running. Looks tempting. Don't know if I would try a marathon, though.

Ok, I found it. I'm designing a protocol for this, so this is just off the cuff shit.

-write the alphabet with your big toe...gradually add ankle weights.

-try to active mold you foot into an arch. start by passively forcing you foot into this position, and work your way up to being able to do it while weight bearing. this is called the "short foot" exercise

-do a 1-leg stand, then close eyes...all the while doing the "short foot". Progress to a rocker, then a wobble board-eyes open, then closed.

-with your heel on the ground, sitting in a chair, curl your toes. Put a towel on the ground and curl it up...then spread it back out. Add challenge by putting a weight on the end of a towel.

-Stretch your big toe out (abduction) by pulling towards your other foot on your big toe, and adding counter resistance by pressing in the other way on the head of your 1st metatarsal (the base of your big toe).

-Grab things like golf balls with your feet.

-strengthen your tibialis anterior muscle. Place your toes under a dumbell or weight, and lift your foot up. This should burn.

-Stretch your calfs. Stand on the edge of the stairs facing uphill and drop your heel down.

-Likewise, hold some weights and stand at the edge of the stairs as mentioned above, and SLOWLY lower yourself down.

-walk around the house barefoot. progress to walking outside in a safe (no glass!) environment barefoot.

If you can do ALL these exercises, you will not only fix a lot of foot,hip,leg,knee,back issues, you'll be a ninja master.

thats what mike said i should do. I think (correct me if i am wrong) the idea is to get the feet healthy and strong and THEN go barefoot as much as possible. but the arch has to be able to hold it's self up at that point.

Muff:

i think that what will end up happening is that i need good shoes with good insoles. I have been hiking around in shoes that do not help my feet, but harmed them. not that the damage is done, i need to correct the damage before i can go back to having my feet. i may not be able to correct the damage, it sounds like that is the case for both bill and catbird. the podiatrist said that the idea is to at least get me to where i only have to have insoles in my hikers and runners. but for now while the i am trying to heal i need to sooth, stretch, and support my feeties.