Parka Coat Recommendations

Dennis_the_Menace

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I usually parka coat by finding an empty hanger and putting the coat on the hanger. Remember to turn off the heater in the coat when you park a your coat. Otherwise it could overheat and dehydrate and pets you might have left in your coat, like trained squirels squirrel1.gifcould die.

I just acquired a Das Parka and took it out today... very nice touches.

• Waterproof stuff sack with attachment point on the bottom so water can't drip in
  • Mesh pockets inside for gloves{*]Small pocket outside for other shit
  • Big hood to go over helmet

A bit more than your $250 limit but good doesn't come cheap.

Why limit yourself to 250 bucks if you want a heavy duty goreplex XCR storm parka? most new ones cost 400 bucks. You can buy LL Bean's Marmot knockoffs for a lot less, but I still think they are more than 250- The Patagonia Supa Pluma's been my choice for about the last ten years but they cost 325

For Winter use, go SOFT SHELL- my $.02

marmots belay parka as jordo said.

about 225

Good stuff! I hope to have one by mid Jan. smile.gif" border="0

We are carrying them in MN. I would think a store near you could at least special order it. If not, just order direct thru marmot. They have a decent sizing chart in their catalog, which might be online as well.

[ 12-12-2001: Message edited by: carolyn ]

dennis for my summer coat i have a patagonia strech light jacket. it is 3 layer and weighs like 13oz. i have used this coat in all condtions and would say that it rulz. tbough soemtimes the zipper for the rear pocket gets annoying when wearing a pack. though it is a bit more then $250.00 patagonia stuff rulz.

http://www.patagonia.com/webapp/commerce/Pgonia/Product.jsp?merchant_rn=7385&cgrfnbr=124389&sku=24152

quote:

Originally posted by erik:
dennis for my summer coat i have a patagonia strech light jacket. it is 3 layer and weighs like 15oz. i have used this coat in all condtions and would say that it rulz. tbough soemtimes the zipper for the rear pocket gets annoying when wearing a pack. though it is a bit more then $250.00 patagonia stuff rulz.

Then off the cliff I go! There was a cool book written by Dennis Chitty, a UBC prof. in ecology and population biology, called "Do Lemmings Commit Suicide? Beautiful Hypotheses and Ugly Facts" Tex, your assertion fits right in: we like to think that people with really old and well-used gear are somehow better climbers; we like to dismiss the well dressed as knobs, merely out of subconscious jealousy. We don't want to consider the ugly possibility of them possibly being better climbers than us, because that would shatter our world consruction. Sir Chris B. loves the Coop, apparently, because he likes "stuff". And he's an OK climber too. Oh, and my DAS is in the mail!

[ 12-13-2001: Message edited by: jordo ]

I tried on all of the belay parkas out there; Golite's 6 Month Night, Marmot's Belay Paka, Patagonia's DAS, Lowe's. The one I liked best (and bought) is Wild Thing's Belay Parka. The cut is great, much better than the Marmot, and is more stuffable than the DAS or Golite. It is very simple and light with only the features you need; a couple of pockets and a hood big enough to fit over my lamp shade like helmet. I am most impressed with the fit and finish. At $260.00 it is the same cost as the DAS and only a little more expensive than the Marmot.