Favorite Recovery Food?

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

half gallon of V-8

I think you are high on more than just rock buddy....... I would hurl like hell after consuming a half gallon of that crap!

I'm super into my blender's home made shakes. mmmmm

20g vanilla or chocolate whey protein

1 LARGE banana

2-3 tablespoons of peanut of almond butter

2-3 tablespoons of blackberry honey or dark maple syrup

Dash of salt (salt is important for glycogen synthesis)

1) Its freaking insanely delicious!

2) Great hit of amino acids, sugars to pull the aminos into cells (insulin), and fatty acids to boost those anabolic hormone levels! Plus you get a large dose of Potassium, vitamin E, and minerals from the honey or syrup (maple syrup has more minerals than honey). :hcluv:

1 LARGE banana

Now that sound GREAT! I don't know about all of those ameno acids reating to the glieceen, or what evers, but I do know bananas adn peanut butter and chocolate go very well together.

Oh woof baby woof

1 LARGE banana

Now that sound GREAT! I don't know about all of those ameno acids reating to the glieceen, or what evers, but I do know bananas adn peanut butter and chocolate go very well together.

Oh woof baby woof

Oh dude...... seriously, it beats "normal" milkshakes any day! In my humble opinion that is...

• 1 month later...

I second the V-8. don't knock it till you've tried it. Several years ago I pushed myself to the point of collapse on a four-day high-intensity trip in the El-Dorado area. After my partners helped me hobble that last half-mile back to the car, the e.r. doc in Sedro Wooley piped in two liters i.v. for the drive home, then my doc here in der worth piped in three more liters the next morning. (this was truly hilarious: "can you pee yet?"-"no"-"hey-bring us another liter, willya?") After taking blood, he told me I needed to supplement potassium for a week and then look at blood again. I consumed one-half gallon of v8 per day for that week, in addition to my normal food intake. Say what you will about the taste, the stuff works, and its WAY cheaper than formal supplements...

if/when I go hard enough to produce significant DOMS, (a rare occasion) I do supplement with glutamine to resolve that. My wife, a fairly intense cyclist, likes the glutamine after any ride longer than a half-century...

and, yeah, the banannas and yogurt and whey protein and all are great, but you're missing a bet if you're not adding eggs and olive oil to those shakes. --but that's my normal breakfast diet -- the glutamine and v8 are specific to the really serious recovery episodes

Edited by montypiton

MEAT like a steak or burger, mmm yeah. I will usually have an Emergen-C or juice. Lots of salt on whatever starch I am eating with my steak or burger.

I always mean to eat bananas for the Potassium, but hardly ever do.

Actually, citrus is almost as good a source of potassium as bananas, and its easily packed into the mountains (bananas squish). Also, I've been reading that magnesium is more important for exercise performance than potassium is. And citrus is superior to bananas for that.

Also, zinc is an ULTRA important component to muscle recovery. Exercise depletes it quite a bit, so it is crucial to eat a diet where we get enough of it. This is where MEAT comes into the picture (especially steak and shellfish). So the whole "lets go smash down a post climb steak" is actually one of the best things we can do!

OK I'm done.....