Steph Davis Book Tour/Slide Show in Portland

Ashley Knecht

Professional free climber Steph Davis will be coming to the Portland Patagonia store 907 NW Irving St on April 5th at 7:30pm for a slide show presentation of her climbs, a book signing for her new book [/i]High Infatuation: A Climber's Guide to Love and Gravity as well as a Q&A session. The event is FREE and we hope that everyone will tell their fellow climbers and come out to meet this amazing climber.

For those who don't know, Steph Davis is on record with first ascents in Pakistan, Patagonia, Baffin Island, and Kyrgyzstan. She was the first U.S. woman to summit the 11,073-foot Fitz Roy Peak in Patagonia, a sucess realized after spending five seasons, a total of ten months, to achieve her goal.

We hope to see you all there on April 5th at 7:30pm!

High Infatuation Book Page

Edited by Ashley Knecht

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just for clarification:

Steph Davis will be both in Seattle on April 4th at 7pm at the Patagonia store for a book signing and slideshow, but she will ALSO be in Portland on April 5th at 7:30pm at the Patagonia store for her book signing and slideshow. SO, if you live in Seattle or Portland, Steph Davis will be here soon!

I attended the Seattle presentation last night. She said that as of three weeks ago, her and Dean were dropped as Patagonia ambassadors after 9 years of working for them. She suspects it is fallout from the Delicate Arch, but didn't specifically say, I don't think Patagonia did either. You could tell it was a sore subject, so please be considerate during the Q&A time.

Her presentation was great, so I'm not going to spoil it for the PDX folks. All and all, I was really impressed by her humility and sense of humor.

Why does Steph Davis have a book? Anyone read it? What is is about? Her climbing?

Her book is great--I really enjoyed it.

Patagonia shitcanned both she and Dean--that company is a piece of shit in my opinion for what they did—I will not be buying any more of their overpriced, overrated clothing.

Boycott Patagonia!!

Still, Dean did nothing illegal. Delicate Arch is a cool looking, but, nevertheless, worthless chuck of sandstone. Big fucking deal if he climbed it; it's the silliest thing in the world to take so seriously. How does one "hurt" a rock? Fucking ridiculous.

Boycott Patagonia!

Doing Delicate Arch was a bonehead move no matter how you cut it and the backlash from NPS was swift. NPS and NFS personnel are also now on the internet and this sort of thhing travels fast in their ranks doing no one any good. Patagonia was equally culpable and boneheaded in their logistical and initial PR support of this stunt. Both Patagonia and Potter deserve to be soundly panned by the public for the incident. Dropping the Potter's was an unavoidable and quite appropriate move for Patagonia as part of managing the fallout. Thinking caps and common sense are in order all the way around now that money and sponsorships are an integral part of climbing.

Still, Dean did nothing illegal. Delicate Arch is a cool looking, but, nevertheless, worthless chuck of sandstone. Big fucking deal if he climbed it; it's the silliest thing in the world to take so seriously. How does one "hurt" a rock? Fucking ridiculous.

Boycott Patagonia!

Not as silly as demanding a boycott of a clothing company because they torpedoed your fallen superhero's gravy train.

STFU and have some self respect you sycophantic fluffer.

Boycott Patagonia!

Not as silly as demanding a boycott of a clothing company because they torpedoed your fallen superhero's gravy train.

STFU and have some self respect you sycophantic fluffer.

I don’t know about boycotting Patagonia, but I agree with “who the fuck cares about a guy who did nothing illegal”. Seems like the rest of the world if pissed because they did not think of it first.

Seriously it was not illegal to climb on it before and nobody climbed it. Now its illegal and still nobody climbs on it. Nothing has changed except deans paycheck.

Edited by kevbone

How does one "hurt" a rock?

Countless ways, all context dependent. I'd say ridiculously uninformed or self-absorbed not to be able to recognize and or understnd the basic problem involved with the incident.

JH......what is the basic problem involved with the incident? This is not a troll.

I don’t know about boycotting Patagonia, but I agree with “who the fuck cares about a guy who did nothing illegal”. Seems like the rest of the world if pissed because they did not think of it first.

Seriously it was not illegal to climb on it before and nobody climbed it. Now its illegal and still nobody climbs on it. Nothing has changed.

Oh come on kevbone, get some perspective.

He could have climbed it stealth and no one would have noticed or cared aside from his friends who would have thought it was cool. Making a media spectacle out of climbing the potentially fragile Utah state symbol got attention from places hostile to climbers: the NPS and the general public. Like it or not the NPS is here to stay and we have to maintain a working relationship with them. This did not help access issues at all.

Nothing has changed except deans paycheck.

No fixed pro, no climbing on arches, no slack/high lining. I'd a simple guy, but I'd call those changes...

You should not be able to add fixed pro in Arches anyway, why would anybody climb on arches when you have indian creek and slack lining is for loosers. So whats the problem?

Edited by kevbone

I suppose if you don't think painting a picture of climbers as self-absorbed and self-agrandizing boneheads who need to be kept on a short leash by the staffs of every state and national park with climbable rock is a problem then I can see how it might be hard to recognize the many issues involved.

Glad that Dean was dropped and anyone who supported it. Dean was not the first to climb Delicate Arch nor will he be the last, but hopefu lly no one is so stupid as to document it and then send out press releases. I won't boycott patagonia, but I will boycott Davis' slideshow.

Just because something isn't illegal doesn't make it o.k. Similar to Dean's trashing the crag with fixed gear for over a year last year up in Tuolumne. Other climbers had to go in there and take out tons of gear that was simply trashed and left by Dean. One with nature, for sure.....

He brought un-needed attention to the climbing community as a whole which will now will face stricter regs. in other areas of the park and maybe in the desert Southwest. Just because it is not happening at your favorite crag or roadtrip spot, doesn't mean that it won't in the future. Bad press for climbers is all lumped together and not bound by parks or between federal agencies. Bad news for reported about a climber in Utah is bad for the climbing community as a whole. Non-climbers are not going to be able to differentiate.