Smoking pot and climbing thread

billcoe

• Replies 302
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just a note - drunk and stoned are not remotely similar, performance on alcohol is a well-documented curve where it is often enhanced up in that 1.5oz range and then deteriorates fast and furious at 2oz and beyond. No such standard performance curve or chart of direct physical/mental manifestations exists for THC on anything remotely like a 1:1 relationship with alcohol. Stoned is one thing, drunk or imbibing to excess and getting near a rope I have a serious problems with.

So do we launch a scientific test?

Maybe we could do a reaction test. We belay someone drunk or stoned and see how long it takes them to hit the ground.

The we check for damage.

Seriously, you can do a test by having someone belay and stop the same fall. Then you check how far your leader dropped to measure the reaction time (in feet of rope). The THC can be stadardized by using the same weed and administering the same dose maybe in a vaporizer to manage the dose somewhat consistently.

Such a test would require an enormous amount of repetition to ensure repeatability of results. In other words, Papa's gonna hafta get a bran' new bag.

Edited by tvashtarkatena

I've noticed that some folks, when stoned, perform better, yet some perform dramatically worse. I think it;s incumbent on them to figure it out.

I can focus much better after I smoke...for example when i was in high school and began smoking I started getting straight A's :wazup: ....as for climbing after I smoke I get a little to timid although I can maintain better focus on my belaying.

Have you ever been tested for ADD? No offense, and I'm not kidding, but pot is one of the primary self medications that helps the condition.

Back to the subject at hand, I certainly wouldn't hunt within anyone who is stoned, particularly if they were a chimpanzee with tool making skills.

yes i have been tested for ADD...and yes I am, no offense taken I find it to be a helpful quality in being an artist....and yep my dad and I have both been self medicating ourselves, its much better then taking the amphetamines they typically prescribe :crosseye:

I've noticed that some folks, when stoned, perform better, yet some perform dramatically worse. I think it;s incumbent on them to figure it out.

I can focus much better after I smoke...for example when i was in high school and began smoking I started getting straight A's :wazup: ....as for climbing after I smoke I get a little to timid although I can maintain better focus on my belaying.

Have you ever been tested for ADD? No offense, and I'm not kidding, but pot is one of the primary self medications that helps the condition.

Back to the subject at hand, I certainly wouldn't hunt within anyone who is stoned, particularly if they were a chimpanzee with tool making skills.

yes i have been tested for ADD...and yes I am, no offense taken I find it to be a helpful quality in being an artist....and yep my dad and I have both been self medicating ourselves, its much better then taking the amphetamines they typically prescribe :crosseye:

Right on!

Good for you for sticking with what works for you. Sometimes I get a little quesy about docs trying to get everyone to be the same. If something is really affecting your quality of life, that's one thing. But when you are willing to incorporate your differences into your life--more power to you!!!

Just a note - drunk and stoned are not remotely similar, performance on alcohol is a well-documented curve where it is often enhanced up in that 1.5oz range and then deteriorates fast and furious at 2oz and beyond. No such standard performance curve or chart of direct physical/mental manifestations exists for THC on anything remotely like a 1:1 relationship with alcohol. Stoned is one thing, drunk or imbibing to excess and getting near a rope I have a serious problems with.

So do we launch a scientific test?

Maybe we could do a reaction test. We belay someone drunk or stoned and see how long it takes them to hit the ground.

The we check for damage.

Seriously, you can do a test by having someone belay and stop the same fall. Then you check how far your leader dropped to measure the reaction time (in feet of rope). The THC can be stadardized by using the same weed and administering the same dose maybe in a vaporizer to manage the dose somewhat consistently.

Such a test would require an enormous amount of repetition to ensure repeatability of results. In other words, Papa's gonna hafta get a bran' new bag.

Absolutely, good science requires that we get repeatable results so we would have to perform this test under rigorous conditions that would similate the real world. Over and over again. Or at least until someone remembers to write the data down.

I think a volcano vaporizer with a large bag would replicate this real world situation and provide a normalized dose in a reliably repeatable fashion.

I think a volcano vaporizer with a large bag would replicate this real world situation and provide a normalized dose in a reliably repeatable fashion.

Jesus, man, do we think alike sometimes. I was going to suggest the very same technology, and I happen to know someone who has one. Papa's got a brand new smokeless bag, you might say.

Jesus, man, do we think alike sometimes. I was going to suggest the very same technology, and I happen to know someone who has one. Papa's got a brand new smokeless bag, you might say.

They rent the volcano at the BC party shop in Vancouver.

Man, does that thing work!

I would definitely drop someone while using the volcano. Repeatedly.

Or anyone who reminds me of Kevbone.

The difference between you and me is I would climb with you. You seem to take CC.com too seriously. Remember this site is for entertainment girl. You get sooooo pissed at the little things. You need to relax. If you log off and are pissed at ANY posters, well…..you need help. Maybe a bong hit or two. Later.

Or anyone who reminds me of Kevbone.

The difference between you and me is I would climb with you. You seem to take CC.com too seriously. Remember this site is for entertainment girl. You get sooooo pissed at the little things. You need to relax. If you log off and are pissed at ANY posters, well…..you need help. Maybe a bong hit or two. Later.

ahhhhh...... K-fed cares..... :)

Ironic that we're the same community that's trying to make a case to lawmakers that taxpayers shouldn't pay for our own stupidity and poor judgement.

So.....if your climbing and on a bluebird day and a piece of ice breaks off and kills your friend next to. The temp was perfect for climbing, conditions were perfect. The only bad thing was God decided to take your friend that day......Is that poor judgement for stupidity?

Ironic that we're the same community that's trying to make a case to lawmakers that taxpayers shouldn't pay for our own stupidity and poor judgement.

So.....if your climbing and on a bluebird day and a piece of ice breaks off and kills your friend next to. The temp was perfect for climbing, conditions were perfect. The only bad thing was God decided to take your friend that day......Is that poor judgement for stupidity?

What's God have to do with this Kevboner?

Ok, I have to confess I got Bill on this topic in the first place; I sort of bash another one of his posts earlier today.

(Bill... good idea to broach the topic here in spray)

The whole pot issue for me is a little larger than just climbing... sure I used to toke a fair amount WHEN I WAS A KID, but I grew out of it. It amazes me that "adults" still have the need to smoke.

But even with that said, specifically to the climbing community, the ratio of smokers-to-non has gotta be like twice the ratio for regular population! What gives?

Ok, I have to confess I got Bill on this topic in the first place; I sort of bash another one of his posts earlier today.

(Bill... good idea to broach the topic here in spray)

The whole pot issue for me is a little larger than just climbing... sure I used to toke a fair amount WHEN I WAS A KID, but I grew out of it. It amazes me that "adults" still have the need to smoke.

But even with that said, specifically to the climbing community, the ratio of smokers-to-non has gotta be like twice the ratio for regular population! What gives?

JH......can you answer this please.