Smoking pot and climbing thread

billcoe

• Replies 302
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't - but it doesn't bother me if others do. Many do. (person dependant)

My huge criteria, which I am inflexable on, is that my belay's be perfect. (And no fired up seeds pop and land on the rope too)

Discuss....?

I would like my belays to be perfect as well. Are you saying you are against someone lighting up while belaying you?

This seems simply stupid as being under the influence affects perception, reaction time, coordination and judgement. I would never climb with anyone who smokes up before or during. Lets have a great climbing day, then we can both light up.

I don’t even know anyone who climbs and does not light up on the way there. During and after. You obviously don’t climb in OR.

No you idiot; figure it out for yourself.

Arch….take a chill pill. Why you got to throw insults around?

I want you to define high? That way, we can get a CLEAR understanding of what you mean, when you say “ I wont get in a car when the driver is high”.

Does this include caffeine high?

I had a near miss rappeling while enjoying nature's bounty early in life, so combining the two is out for me. You only get to die once. I'd also want my belayer to have the fastest reaction time possible (particularly given my experience 2 weekends ago ice climbing with Jens), so I'd strongly vote for apre rather than simo climbing combustible relaxation.

It's taken decades, and god knows it still isn't easy, but gosh darn it when I put my mind to it, I can climb straight. True, I am a bit slower and think a bit too much, and the knots are all harder to tie, but it's good to know I can get by when it's simply unavoidable.

To paraphrase Loudon: "Climbing on acid is easy; climbing on acid is fun; but the next time you feel like tripping - hold out for mushrooms instead..."

As Bill points out, competency and performance are not negotiable - if you can't stand and deliver, then by all means do yourself and everyone else a favor, and don't.

I don't - but it doesn't bother me if others do. Many do. (person dependant)

My huge criteria, which I am inflexable on, is that my belay's be perfect. (And no fired up seeds pop and land on the rope too)

Discuss....?

It's best to climb sober when any drug will impair your abilities and decision making. This includes alcohol, pot, medications, etc... Caffeine on the other hand is a beneficial stimulant in the climbing environment.

I fire up the tea in the morning and when we bivy, we fire up the rasta effects.

I've noticed that some folks, when stoned, perform better, yet some perform dramatically worse. I think it;s incumbent on them to figure it out.

I have noticed that older people tend to have this issue sorted out much better, ie they don't smoke while belaying if smoking makes them stupid, slow and sleepy.

As Kev points out, it's pretty common around here, and some of the best companions (who still can perform well) smoke out occasionally (or frequently :grin: ).