Smoking pot and climbing thread

billcoe

I've noticed that some folks, when stoned, perform better, yet some perform dramatically worse. I think it;s incumbent on them to figure it out.

I have noticed that older people tend to have this issue sorted out much better, ie they don't smoke while belaying if smoking makes them stupid, slow and sleepy.

As Kev points out, it's pretty common around here, and some of the best companions (who still can perform well) smoke out occasionally (or frequently :grin: ).

What is has the opposite affect? Hyper, with lots of energy. Then is a good thing.

• Replies 302
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like drugs.

But I don't get into a car when the driver is high. And I won't let someone who is high take my life into thier hands. Simple as that.

Will you define high?

Does that include caffeine high?

Biggest drug house in town..Starbucks.

Kevbone, it's most often assumed a person's comments are in reefer-ence to the thread title.

I like drugs.

But I don't get into a car when the driver is high. And I won't let someone who is high take my life into thier hands. Simple as that.

Will you define high?

Kevbone, it's most often assumed a person's comments are in reefer-ence to the thread title.

I try not to assume.

I've noticed that some folks, when stoned, perform better, yet some perform dramatically worse. I think it;s incumbent on them to figure it out.

I have noticed that older people tend to have this issue sorted out much better, ie they don't smoke while belaying if smoking makes them stupid, slow and sleepy.

As Kev points out, it's pretty common around here, and some of the best companions (who still can perform well) smoke out occasionally (or frequently :grin: ).

No, people do not perform better stoned. In all test performed, people were impaired in their performance. Unless they were smoking oregano.

Drunk people used to believe they drove better while drunk too.

I find it ironic that a thread about herbiage has quickly devoled into a bunch of bickering and pissing and moaning - or perhaps that's not ironic at all. Peace out dude!

That is because Arch is having one of her moments. Give it a couple of days….it will pass.

Edited by kevbone

It's taken decades, and god knows it still isn't easy, but gosh darn it when I put my mind to it, I can climb straight. True, I am a bit slower and think a bit too much, and the knots are all harder to tie, but it's good to know I can get by when it's simply unavoidable.

To paraphrase Loudon: "Climbing on acid is easy; climbing on acid is fun; but the next time you feel like tripping - hold out for mushrooms instead..."

As Bill points out, competency and performance are not negotiable - if you can't stand and deliver, then by all means do yourself and everyone else a favor, and don't.

There are a few folks I've climbed with extensively who I know are competent after having puffed, but that's because they do it on alomost a continual basis. The same goes for a lot of musicians I play with. They are so accustomed to playing stoned they feel handicapped if required to perform without.

It's not that way for me. I asked about this phenomena and received this reply, "you're just not more than 50% practiced".

I like drugs.

Will you define high?

I try not to assume.

you should replace "assume" with "deduce".

I'm with kevbone and bill -- some people are still "with it" after smoking a bowl. I climb with some guys who smoke, and I would trust my life to them, because I know them and trust them to take care of their shit. If they keep an aggressive and watchful belay, then what do I care?

For me, the issue isn't so much whether you climb sober or not, it's whether you need to, and whether or not you know the difference. :tup:

Me, on the other hand, NEVER climb under the influence. (After is another story). But that's just how my brain works. Everybody's got to find their own way, and if I can't trust a climber to make his own decisions regarding sobriety then I certainly can't trust him roping up with me -- sober or not.

No, people do not perform better stoned. In all test performed, people were impaired in their performance. Unless they were smoking oregano.

I have seen people lose some of the fear and climb less tentatively while stoned. I do not believe, however, in the event of a sudden event that requires instinctive, immediate action, that being stoned can do anything but get in the way.

There are a few folks I've climbed with extensively who I know are competent after having puffed, but that's because they do it on alomost a continual basis. The same goes for a lot of musicians I play with. They are so accustomed to playing stoned they feel handicapped if required to perform without.

I agree.

Most of my partners enjoy the fruits of life while climbing. I will and do trust their belays 100%. I know them well. As for me, if I smoke before or after climbing all depends on my agenda for the day. If I am going for a hard onsite or red point, I do not partake. If I am climbing 5.6 all day, then all bets are off.

The last thing we need are more rules. Is that in the climbing code yet? "Thou shalt not climb high?" :lmao:

Why are you guys arguing about this? If you want to climb high and with your high buddies, who gives a fuck? If you don't, then don't. As long as everybody is honest, I don't see what the big fucking deal is. :confused:

I can focus much better after I smoke...for example when i was in high school and began smoking I started getting straight A's :wazup: ....as for climbing after I smoke I get a little to timid although I can maintain better focus on my belaying.

The last thing we need are more rules. Is that in the climbing code yet? "Thou shalt not climb high?" :lmao:

Why are you guys arguing about this? If you want to climb high and with your high buddies, who gives a fuck? If you don't, then don't. As long as everybody is honest, I don't see what the big fucking deal is. :confused:

I don't think its an argument. I think people are stating whether they would let someone who is high belay them or not. And I don't think anyone has said anything against actually climbing high or any rules. But my climbing code includes that I try to mitigate whatever risks I find unacceptable. In my book, that includes me letting myself be belayed by someone who is high. There is no room to argue there. Furthermore, I would be totally fine with someone who told me that they didn't want me to belay them b/c I was not high. Whatever works for you.

I can focus much better after I smoke...for example when i was in high school and began smoking I started getting straight A's :wazup: ....as for climbing after I smoke I get a little to timid although I can maintain better focus on my belaying.

Have you ever been tested for ADD? No offense, and I'm not kidding, but pot is one of the primary self medications that helps the condition.

Back to the subject at hand, I certainly wouldn't hunt within anyone who is stoned, particularly if they were a chimpanzee with tool making skills.