Duke Rape Case Speculation Thread

ClimbingPanther

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Certainly there is some sales value in salacious material and we are more likely to find it interesting that someone was a prostitute as opposed to a sales clerk, but part of that also reflects the fact that when it comes to random attack and street crime, prostitutes are in a high risk occupation that may in itself contribute to the circumstances providing opportunity for the crime. Sometimes reporters are trying to report pertinent information but end up accused of perpetrating stereotypes or the ongoing oppression of women.

I can't help but notice that the only people who get referred to as their profession in these types of cases (and murder cases) are strippers and prostitutes. I never hear the victim get referred to as "the project manager" or "the engineer" if that happened to be the profession of the woman who was attacked.

These are people, they are women. Please show a little respect.

:tup: Agreed.

Certainly there is some sales value in salacious material and we are more likely to find it interesting that someone was a prostitute as opposed to a sales clerk, but part of that also reflects the fact that when it comes to random attack and street crime, prostitutes are in a high risk occupation that may in itself contribute to the circumstances providing opportunity for the crime. Sometimes reporters are trying to report pertinent information but end up accused of perpetrating stereotypes or the ongoing oppression of women.

Yes, but what was the purpose behind your use of the word?

Psst, Archy: she was a stripper at a party and complained that things went south on her in a major way. Her role there does not in any way excuse what did or did not happen to her, but it is not the same as if she was one of the invited guests.

Twenty five years ago, we hosted a bachelor party at a house where I was a tenant and before the "guest" was to appear, a mean looking guy pushed his way into the house, ran through our party, and just as quickly left. We all wondered if he was a gangster who had simply entered the wrong party, and we wondered if we should be scared or not. But then when the "guest" showed up five minutes later we realized he was her scout, and we decided it was OK. We could see how she was taking some real risks and we didn't blame her for wanting someone to check it out in advance.

In the Duke case, I think her role in the party is quite significant. If you think that acknowledging that role or even mentioning it is somehow an evil victimization of women, I think you have a problem with reality and rational thought. Take the chip off your shoulder and I think you'll be able to stand up straighter.

Psst, Archy: she was a stripper at a party and complained that things went south on her in a major way. Her role there does not in any way excuse what did or did not happen to her, but it is not the same as if she was one of the invited guests.

Twenty five years ago, we hosted a bachelor party at a house where I was a tenant and before the "guest" was to appear, a mean looking guy pushed his way into the house, ran through our party, and just as quickly left. We all wondered if he was a gangster who had simply entered the wrong party, and we wondered if we should be scared or not. But then when the "guest" showed up five minutes later we realized he was her scout, and we decided it was OK. We could see how she was taking some real risks and we didn't blame her for wanting someone to check it out in advance.

In the Duke case, I think her role in the party is quite significant. If you think that acknowledging that role or even mentioning it is somehow an evil victimization of women, I think you have a problem with reality and rational thought. Take the chip off your shoulder and I think you'll be able to stand up straighter.

I honestly hope that you don't have any clients who happen to be female.

That would definitely be a problem if all women* assiduously cultivated a sense of resentment and victimhood as a central component of their identity.

*Sorry. Meant "womyn." Apologies for the repressive partiarchal assumptions that are encoded in my language and thereby projected onto all female-humans in as a subconscious act of pre-victimization that's essential to the marginalization and dehumanization that make up the core of their experience and reality in our society.

*Sorry. Meant "womyn." Apologies for the repressive partiarchal assumptions that are encoded in my language and thereby projected onto all female-humans in as a subconscious act of pre-victimization that's essential to the marginalization and dehumanization that make up the core of their experience and reality in our society.

You've been in Cambridge too long....