Open your fly for me

archenemy

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The first cast on a new Sage rod on the Cowichan river, floating a Doc Spratley. A pristine morning, silent until the shuddering tug on the rod. BOOM!!! The reel sings, and after a wicked battle I net a 17 inch wild steelhead. My hands were still shaking as I kissed him on the nose and let him wriggle off down the stream.

If I remember correcly, it wasn't until many years did he begin putting his last name to some of the variations he was creating for flyfishing in Labrador and the Rocky Mountains.

If you look at the old generation of flies, they are all feathers with silk and fur dubbing. Take for example Mary Orvis Maybury's "Favorite Flies", which was a large catalog of flies that their fly tying production team was producing at the turn of the century. It wasn't until 30 years later did they begin using bucktail for wet flies and then later for dry flies with upright wings like the Royal Wulff and the Elk Hair Caddis.

Here is the next generation of flies. This one is a March Brown.

fly2.jpg

Dat was me.... and I'm still delinquent on order fulfillment. My fly boxes are now far away, but I'll check in a couple weeks what I have. I know I have Wulffs, Adams, Hoppers and Ants that I tied up for Jellystone... the others I've no idea.

No pictures of flies, just trout holding water in pleasant places.

93541156-M.jpg

13843194-M.jpg

77000699-M.jpg

The first cast on a new Sage rod on the Cowichan river, floating a Doc Spratley. A pristine morning, silent until the shuddering tug on the rod. BOOM!!! The reel sings, and after a wicked battle I net a 17 inch wild steelhead. My hands were still shaking as I kissed him on the nose and let him wriggle off down the stream.

Woo hoo!

I just got me a Sage this year!!! A thing of beauty, I love it and would take it with me everywhere if I could just so I could look at it when I wanted to. Truly wonderful. The action is so different from my other rods that it is taking me a bit to get used to it, but I love it. Did I mention that I love my Sage?

• 2 months later...

aaah, someone has post envy :blush: how cute!

I actually inherited a steel fly rod from my great grandmother!?!?! Still amazes the heck out of me, but I haven't had a chance to try it yet, and unluckily a broken bamboo rod as well. Both have got to be 40 or 50 years old.

Haven't been fly fishing in 4 years :( Stupid climbing, get's in the way of everything. :crazy:

aaah, someone has post envy :blush: how cute!

I actually inherited a steel fly rod from my great grandmother!?!?! Still amazes the heck out of me, but I haven't had a chance to try it yet, and unluckily a broken bamboo rod as well. Both have got to be 40 or 50 years old.

Haven't been fly fishing in 4 years :( Stupid climbing, get's in the way of everything. :crazy:

That is so incredibly cool!

You know, there are a lot of great artisan-types who can fix that rod for you. The owner of All About the Fly in Monroe is a good guy who is very knowledgeable. He can help you out. I'd even bring it in for you if you are not going to be up that way--I love going to that shop!