Hybrid soft/hard shell. Alternative to Arc Teryx??

Chad_A

Or, does anyone know of an Alpha Comp Hoody on sale? I've looked around. Only the usual small and XL are available for less than 350 bucks.

I'd like to try this out as opposed to a complete hardshell, to help rectify the usual problem of the bottom of the jacket raising up when I swing ice tools overhead. I've also heard that some people use a strap through the crotch to hold their jacket down.

I can't seem to find an affordable Arcteryx item. If someone has an alternative that they use, please post it. Of if they have a size L Alpha Comp they want to sell in good shape....???

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you happen to be a size S or XL, there are some on sale for 50% off at backcountryoutlet.com

But otherwise, I'd second the recommendation for Beyond Fleece. I've had one of their Schoeller soft shells for a couple years, wear it pretty much everywhere, and it's still in great shape. and the customization is hard to beat.

Edited by jon

I don't think Beyond Fleece is offering a hybrid jacket, unless you consider the WB stuff to be the 'hardshell' part and I think that stuff is heavy.

I have had my Alpha Comp out on a few trips now, and I like it a lot.

I think Mammut is making a hybrid jacket, but it is relatively heavy.

I just got an REI Aegis jacket that is appearently not available any longer (I tried to find one for my dad) but I imagine we'll see a new version for next year. It is 3 layer stretch Elements (REI's WB material) on the hood, shoulders, top of the arms and cuffs, as well as on the hips. The rest of the jacket is a very stretchy softshell material. It is basically an Alpha Comp Hoody that is actually lighter and way cheaper (retail $169). Granted the overall quality is nothing I'd imagine compared to Arc'Teryx but what is. The seams are all welded, reverse coil zippers, no pit zips. The hood could stand to be a bit bigger to accomodate a helmet but mine is a touch small on me and I think it's my fault, not the jackets. If you aren't in a hurry it might be worth waiting for. Or call the Seattle Flagship store at noon on a Saturday and have them track one down at a store on the other side of the country. If they pick up the phone! Enjoy!

Baltoro's post reminded me of the REI Taku jacket. Hybrid jacket that weighs same as Arteryx Alpha Comp (18 oz). $199. Outside magazine Gear of the Year Award Winner!!!! for what that is worth. Ugly though. I tried one on once and the fit wasn't for me, but maybe for you.

Edited by dbconlin

Cool, thanks much for all the posts. Good to hear that there's some nice alternatives out there. Also looking at this (Ready Mix jacket):

01.jpg

Anybody own one? Fits really well, no jacket-lift with arms overhead, and pretty light (14oz). 199 bucks, or less for me at local retailers here with my PRG discount.

I have the hoodless version. It is excellent. I really debated between the Ready Mix and the Alpha Comp Hoody. It is kind of a tossup, but I went with the hybrid.

The material Patagonia uses sheds weather really well, is very wind-proof, very breathable, and dries fast (and light, as you mentioned). If you want to go full softshell, this would be my top choice. It is not hybrid though. My only quibbles are with the cuff tabs. Also, it is not very stretchy, but do you really need it to be? It fits close.

No, not really. Thanks for the reply.

It just seems to have longer than average arm length, and a generous length, while still having the "athletic cut" that I appreciate.

For shits and giggles, stopped by the US Outdoor store today to check out the Alpha Comp. Sadly, it doesn't fit me (Arms are too short). Not so bummed about the Ready Mix being a full softshell; from what you've said, it sounds like it does what I'm looking for in a jacket.

That is interesting what you said about the arms. My Figure 4 (hoodless Ready Mix) seems to have about the same length arms as the Alpha Comp. The Alpha Comp has baggier arms though. Other than that, I find they fit about the same. The Patagonia might be a tad snugger in the chest/torso. I wonder if the Figure 4 and Ready Mix are cut slightly differently..?

It might be a simple result of the same size being different in two different brands. The L Alpha Comp Hoody fit great in the Torso, but the arms were a tad short. I'm 6' even, and my ape index is about even, as well.

The L Ready Mix has much longer arms; it's a tad big for me in the torso, but I don't mind that, so long as it STAYS DOWN WHEN I LIFT THE ARMS (pet peeve).

Could be I'm comparing apples to oranges. If I see a Figure Four on the rack when I'm at the store this week, I'll try that on as well. Might, in fact, be cut different.

I just got a Beyond Fleece softshell hoody. It is nice, but has several features that indicate to me it was not designed by a climber. I had to return mine to get the sleeves lengthened, because when I raised my arms up they pulled about 2" down my wrists (despite adding some extra length to the measurements I provided them), even with the extra length now, they are 'just' long enough, and there is still a bit of 'stretchy' type resistance when I reach up to make a high swing with my ice tools. The front handwarmer pockets are situated such that my harness blocks them. And there are barrel locks sewn into the bottom hem on either side - which are going to be painful and probably wear holes in the fabric if I do any climbing where I scum my hip against the wall, or fall over on ice or whatever.

I followed their measurement guidelines and was generous with the sleeve length, and when I got it the sleeves were 2" short of my needs. I sent it back, they fixed it per their right-fit guarantee. I think it is good value in a softshell jacket if you are a build that does not fit the typical ready-to-wear shapes and sizes. It is not my ideal jacket in terms of small details, but so far I have been happy with it and I like it better than what I could have bought for the same price at MEC (eg. the Hijinx softshell jacket)

Check out the Mountain Hardwear Torch Jacket. This thing is sweet, made out of Gore Windstopper it uses welded seam technolgy to create a piece that only has stitching on the bottom hem and in the hood(but it is seam taped with ultra thin tape). This technology works because it doesnt put any holes in the fabric to leak through.

Worn it for the last 2 years in the Coast Mountains (Ice, skiing, bugaboos(rock)) It works because it is super breathable and waterproof by design eventhough Mtnhw is not aloud to say that based upon Goretex's rules.

Give it a shot and best of all its relatively cheap.

Check out the Mountain Hardwear Torch Jacket. This thing is sweet, made out of Gore Windstopper it uses welded seam technolgy to create a piece that only has stitching on the bottom hem and in the hood(but it is seam taped with ultra thin tape). This technology works because it doesnt put any holes in the fabric to leak through.

Worn it for the last 2 years in the Coast Mountains (Ice, skiing, bugaboos(rock)) It works because it is super breathable and waterproof by design eventhough Mtnhw is not aloud to say that based upon Goretex's rules.

Give it a shot and best of all its relatively cheap.

Will take a look at this too.

I have the Ready Mix and its predecessor, Stretch Krushell. Probably the best jackets I have, and also the least expensive. I tend to sweat like a pig no matter the temperature, and these jackets keep the sweat at least manageable, pretty good at cutting the wind, and also provide some abrasion resistance. I have other softshell jackets that do the last two things more or less the same, but I am completely soaked from my own sweat because they don't breathe as well as the Ready Mix and Krushell (e.g., Arc'teryx Gamma MX).