Lightweight backpack?

corvallisclimb

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 7 months later...

Promountain has a couple of packs that are about 3,000 cu. in. and both under 3 lbs. Anyone have any experience with the Montbell Versalite 50 or or Go Lite Jam2? I'm looking for something to use on carryover rock climbs that is light and comfortable to climb with.

Ditto on the Cilogear pack. I have a 60L, which is a good size if you want one pack to do most things.

The construction is very lightweight (look at the website, maybe 3-4 lbs for a 40-60L pack). In addition, relative to the Cold Cold World packs advocated, the Cilogear packs come with a (removable) framesheet. The CCW are a 'soft' design. This is lightweight, and works well if your pack is loaded to the gills and cinched down tight, but having the rigid frame works better (IMHO) for carrying a less-than-full pack or awkward loads.

The packs are extremely tough, and have a unique strap system that allows a high degree of customization and creativity in how you load/compress the pack.

Plus Graham ('crackers' on this site and RC.com) provides excellent customer service.

EDIT: I used the 60L for multi-day outings climbing Mt. Baker and Mt. Rainier, as Graham recommends, I also have a 40L which is ideal for cragging and overnight or lightweight backpacking.

Edited by jared_j

I make the cilogear packs.

I think that Jared's point about the included framesheet is one of the major differences between CG and CCW.

We use a number of different fabrics to provide weight savings when we can, but provide the most durability where it's needed.

Also, you can get an extra strap kit and put as many straps as you would like on the pack.

For day trips, I'd probably recommend our 40L pack. It's shorter than the 45L and the 60L, but it still has a burly hipbelt and all the trappings of the larger packs. The pack bag itself is about a pound and a half, stripped.

I make the cilogear packs.

I think that Jared's point about the included framesheet is one of the major differences between CG and CCW.

We use a number of different fabrics to provide weight savings when we can, but provide the most durability where it's needed.

Also, you can get an extra strap kit and put as many straps as you would like on the pack.

For day trips, I'd probably recommend our 40L pack. It's shorter than the 45L and the 60L, but it still has a burly hipbelt and all the trappings of the larger packs. The pack bag itself is about a pound and a half, stripped.

Anybody in Seattle have a CG 40L in a med/lg I can check out. I'm sick and tired of my little Gregory and in the market.

Recently bought the cilo 45 and had an opportunity to try it out on a technical route. The pack carries quite well (for me) without the frame sheet and replaced with a 3/4 z-rest. The z-rest is very snug fitting and would be a bit of a pain in the ass to replace in very cold weather. But we're all hardmen right? As mentioned before the strap system is clever and you should play with it before your first trip so you can 'innovate' your carry system as you go. I carried the pack up a long alpine route with the top collapsed and the lid removed. I barely noticed it EXCEPT when trying to squeeze into a couple chimneys. It shows some abuse on the back panel from these efforts. The lid zipper seems a bit stiff to operate compared to others but doesn't seem to be a problem. It does make me wonder about durability of the zipper tho. Time will tell.

Overall it is a really nice alpine pack and easily carries everything I would need for a week of backcountry climbing.

... squeeze into a couple chimneys. It shows some abuse on the back panel from these efforts. The lid zipper seems a bit stiff to operate compared to others but doesn't seem to be a problem. It does make me wonder about durability of the zipper tho. Time will tell.

I am personally of the opinion that the zipper itself will be fine. The pull tab might die, but in my experience the sliders are durable. Of course, CiloGear will stand behind it if it goes bad.

The 45L pack was created after extensive feedback from Kelly Cordes in his search for a lighter weight pack. We made several modifications from the 60L worksack to make a lighter pack without making it from virtual toilet paper. I think the balance of weight and durability is pretty good, but these ain't haul bags... ;)

I'll second Suge's comments about ULA. Excellent packs geared toward the long distance hiker.

Another pack that sees LOTS of use in long distance hiking (where low weight and reasonable durability are the desired features) is the Granite Gear Vapor Trail. I used one last year on my PCT thru hike as did dozens of other members of the class of '06. It held up extremely well - it's very rugged for 2 pounds. 3 of the 5 of us who hiked together had Vapor Trail's, the 4th guy had an Ozone, the slighly larger cousin.

There are also adequate straps for putting on all kinds of stuff externally, if you need that stuff.

It weighed in at 45 pounds for the high Sierra section (11 days of food, bear can, ice ax, crampons in addition to my normal load) and carried reasonably well. At it's usual load of low to mid 20 pounds, it was wonderful to carry - very comfortable.

I don't know if I'd want to climb with it on, since it is a back packing pack (may not be slim / flexible enough), but for overnighters or carrying stuff to the wall, it's an excellent choice.

... squeeze into a couple chimneys. It shows some abuse on the back panel from these efforts. The lid zipper seems a bit stiff to operate compared to others but doesn't seem to be a problem. It does make me wonder about durability of the zipper tho. Time will tell.

I am personally of the opinion that the zipper itself will be fine. The pull tab might die, but in my experience the sliders are durable. Of course, CiloGear will stand behind it if it goes bad.

The 45L pack was created after extensive feedback from Kelly Cordes in his search for a lighter weight pack. We made several modifications from the 60L worksack to make a lighter pack without making it from virtual toilet paper. I think the balance of weight and durability is pretty good, but these ain't haul bags... ;)

Yup, totally understand and it isn't torn or punctered, nothing like that, just some 'normal' abrasion. The zip was at first stiff enough that I thought it may skip some teeth but with use it seemed to get smoother. The pack I really like and will become my primary alpine pack.

100_9011small.jpg

If anybody is interested in how packs are constructed, I'm writing and photographing the construction of some new packs over on my blog. You can see what I've taken pictures and written about under the heading Dyneema at blog.cilogear.biz...

If you've got questions, or would like to see a detail shot, just ask...