Anyone know where this is?

ken4ord

So this weekend my mom sent me one of those internut email things. Anyway forget about the crazy looking via feratta, what really caught my eye is the stellar looking rock and "real" climbing potential. Anyone know where this is?

image001.jpg

image003.jpg

image002.jpg

image004.jpg

image005.jpg

What's up with all the lock on the chains? I don't get it?

image007.jpg

image008.jpg

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was figuring it was South Korea, I contiplating moving there when I was right out of college. I remember coming across several Korean climbing website that definitely got me siked on moving there. Then the gf at the time decide it was more exciting to get into real estate.

These peaks here seem a little taller than 800-900m, so I am guessing it might be a different area in South Korea.

Edited by ken4ord

Definately Huashan Mountain in China.

I think the locks are just left by people, kinda like writing "I was here". They do the same thing on the Ponte de Veccio bridge in Florence Italy. People write or engrave something on a lock, then leave it locked on the bridge instead of carving or writing on the bridge itself, its a good idea.

It sure looks like a cool place to visit. I wouldn't worry about anything breaking up there, the shear number of chains and massive chunks of metal set in the rock aren't going anywhere.

Definately Huashan in China. I was there in 2001. It's a pretty awesome spot. Me and a friend did the 3000 ft. hike up from the base instead of the tourist gondola ride. It was a lot of fun hiking up since the only other folks there were the chinese guys hauling up loads of propane tanks, cases of beer, watermelons, etc. It must be cheaper to have people hike the loads up 3000 or so ft of hand carved steps than it is to send a gondola car.

The top was crowded and touristy with hotels and stuff, but the space in between had awesome routes carved into the sheer walls. We took a side trail and ended up in this high hanging valley with a small subsistence farm there and a woman who sold us tea.

Unfortunately I believe rock climbing there is illegal because it is a "holy mountain". Otherwise it would be a lot of fun.

Also it can get a bit overcrowded, in 2000 40 or so people died on one of those chain stairway things because it was so crowed that some folks got pushed off the edge. And the hardware isn't exatly expansion bolts in the rock, much of it is hand drilled holes with steel or wooden spikes pounded in. The main route up has been "improved" but some of it is still pretty sketchy.

Oh and those steps do a number on your knees if you have to hike down. :-) One of the coolest spots on my China trip though.

To my knowledge, the stairs and walkways WERE carved by monks to reach the top. There are numerous alcoves with religous displays, including several full sized rooms carved out entirely by hand. I'm not sure about a monastary on top, there are a bunch of things up there now. I'm sure amongst the hotels and restaurants there is one.

Yeah, it's kinda wierd since its a holy site, but hey, lots of China is a little wierd to American eyes.

• 2 years later...