Make your own leashless umbilicals

dbb

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Dave ... on your site you mention the use of the lighter weight "military/hikers" tape-webbing.

I'm curious ... for a non-load bearing set-up why not do away with the webbing all together and just use shock cord. Perhaps not as durable but less pieces/parts/labor, etc...

not a bad idea...

I think a good reason is that the bunched up webbing actually keeps it from getting caught on your screws/cams/slings, etc. Accessory cord (or just shock cord) tends to easily wrap its self into that stuff..

Ade- nice! did you ever get viper strikes on the quark? I looked at one and it didn't fit. I suppose you could drill into the shaft...

The bigger one will, I forgot the color (black perhaps). Of course Grivel sells those for $25 a piece. I got a hose clamp and a pipe holder from the hardware store and made the same deal for $3. I just covered it up with rubber splicing tape and voila, I saved myself $47 duckets.

not a bad idea...

I think a good reason is that the bunched up webbing actually keeps it from getting caught on your screws/cams/slings, etc. Accessory cord (or just shock cord) tends to easily wrap its self into that stuff..

Ade- nice! did you ever get viper strikes on the quark? I looked at one and it didn't fit. I suppose you could drill into the shaft...

I have a Grivel Trigger I picked up last year, just before all the ice melted frown.gif I should put it on. The Strikes didn't look like they'd fit.

Here's the tool after its all finished

1674PA230001-med.JPG

This is what the trigger looks like. Only the screw part of the hose clamp is exposed after taping.

1674PA230004-med.JPG

It's important to put a couple layers of tape beneath the hose clamp as well or else you can damage the soft rubber on the Quarks grip.

not a bad idea...

I have a Grivel Trigger I picked up last year, just before all the ice melted frown.gif I should put it on. The Strikes didn't look like they'd fit.

The viper strike doesn't fit the quark but a visit to your local bike shop will do the trick.

FYI grivel triggers: depending on where you place the trigger on a quark will decide which size trigger you need. Speaking of if you have the newer style trigger and cut the trigger portion off and mount the remaining piece backwards this will also work as an upper hand position/same thing the strike does.

I made some umbilicals about like this last year and they worked pretty good. I neglected to put in a swivel which I'll do this year as they can get twisted up if you're not paying attention and you match and switch tools a lot. I attached them to my tools with keychain biners. It worked alright and didn't bang around, until I fell while drytooling and left a tool jammed in a crack. Actually the biner held, although in a quite mangled state. I'm not sure exactly what the desired outcome is at that point (leave your tool on the route or have it zinging back towards you).

I attached them to my tools with keychain biners. It worked alright and didn't bang around, until I fell while drytooling and left a tool jammed in a crack. Actually the biner held, although in a quite mangled state. I'm not sure exactly what the desired outcome is at that point (leave your tool on the route or have it zinging back towards you).

That is a part of why the grivel spring thing costs so much... though they use keychain sized biners the biners are rated to 3 kNs so that in situations like what you just described you don't have to worry about destroying a biner and loosing your tool (which sucks). A swivel on any attachment system is key though...

But yeah... you can make them for a lot cheaper like a lot of you have but for me the spring thing was worth it.

Along the same lines, does anybody know if the "Trigger" made by Grivel will fit the Quark? It comes in two sizes....

I have the yellow one on my quarks. it will fit on the rubberized handle (as a trigger) and on the shaft (for matching on). pick your poison depending on the type of climbing intended.

• 9 months later...

Hmmm. Anyone have a chip climbing swivel for sale?

Rip the double spring

Sorry - sold out! Unfortunately since Andy Kirkpatrick's rather spiffing review of this leash, demand has rocketed and caught Grivel unawares... However we have sadly just learned (23/7/07) that Grivel have decided that the Double Spring Leash iis economically unviable and the do not intend to make any more. We have written to them to try and persuade them otherwise...