Busy downtown Seattle Oct 5

Jim

Uh, just to be clear, I accused others of apathy, not Jim.

Specific use of the word Apathy not necessary to understand the crux of the comments he made

I called bullshit on that. Whether or not you think protest is an effective way to change things, its a damn important constitutional right that has played a major role in some pretty positive change in this country. Pissing all over the right to protest is, to me, like pissing all over the American flag, and that, well, pissed me off.

Did I piss on the right to protest? I think you are touchy enough to be defending something I did not attack

It's interesting that when the Right gets pissed, they're called 'tough', but when the Left gets pissed, they're called 'self righteous'. Well, I consider myself a (true) conservative, so I'm not sure where I stand in the American political spectrum anymore...probably somewhere out beyond the orbit of Pluto or Sedna or whatever that new non-planet is called.

Who cares? I really don't give a shit if you are conservative, liberal, or alien

I do have a problem with apathy, but I don't have one bit of a problem with folks choosing to make different contributions than I do.

Sorta echos the whole "I'm glad someone is out there standing up for my rights while I speak up for others" idea in my comment, eh?

I also have a problem with criticizing somebody just because their trying to make a difference. That's not self righteous, that's just trying to get involved.

Please reread: I was bothered by the whole "What are YOU doing to better the place" thing. I was bothered by the fact there was no space in the previous comments for the fact that people DO contribute in their own ways.

Finally, I have a problem with reading intent or content in someone's message that just isn't there.

You mean like the pissing on protesters thing?

If you're going to respond to somebody, emotionally, factually, or otherwise, read what they actually wrote. Pidgeonholing somebody with the Leftie/Rightie schtick is like trying to carve The David with a chainsaw.

Then why pigeonhole yourself as a (true) conservative?

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Did I piss on the right to protest? I think you are touchy enough to be defending something I did not attack

This is kind of a weird rant, considering that a quick review of the thread shows that my comments were direct responses to other posters who did, in no uncertain terms, disparage the right to protest. I don't recall you being part of that particular exchange.

Who cares? I really don't give a shit if you are conservative, liberal, or alien

Actually, I am an alien.

Bravo if you don't give a shit. Again, my claim to be a true conservative, admittedly a gross oversimplification for brevity's sake, was in response to an anti-liberal rant by another poster, not you. It was intended to show that the gross assumptions being made by that poster were only that, assumptions, and in many cases, they are wrong assumptions.

It might be a good idea to review the thread a bit before wasting a volley of keystrokes to redress a grievance or disagreement that doesn't exist.

It's been a decent debate on a salient topic, so far. If you've got a viewpoint on the recent torture bill, I'd love to hear it.

You both are saying the same thing.

But what I like about dinomyte's way of putting it is that he doesn't take the air of superiority tact. What pissed me off about Jim's post way back was just that--the psudo-holiness of the whole statement. I am glad Jim is active in politics, but to accuse others of apathy just because they don't do the same is ridiculous.

I don't drive an SUV and I don't commute by bike. I don't get involved in politics that are connected with the current war(s). I am glad people like Jim are. I have chosen to put my time, energy, and money into other efforts. As I've mentioned on this site in the past, I spend a fair amount of effort working with the homeless--specificially active drug users who are homeless. I consider this group voiceless in our society, so I work with an organization that helps give them voice (as well as counseling, clean needles, hygiene kits, etc). I do so with a clean conscience knowing that folks like Jim are doing work on other issues that affect us all. To be judged by him, however, is a huge turnoff. He probably doesn't realize that in his passion for his cause he could be turning prospective allies away. That's a waste. I don't understand what good could possibly come out of trying to shame other people into seeing things from your point of view. It just doesn't work.

Back after a week away. My apologies if I sounded a bit strident when I was "discussing" this with whoever back a few pages, and my apparent lack of clarity. My annoyance, yes, is with most folks who complain but do nothing. But I did not mean to imply that political action was the end all. Voluenteer - at something - anything, where you think you can make even a small difference. That was my point. Cheers. And bigdrink.gif for lending a hand the way you choose.

You both are saying the same thing.

But what I like about dinomyte's way of putting it is that he doesn't take the air of superiority tact. What pissed me off about Jim's post way back was just that--the psudo-holiness of the whole statement. I am glad Jim is active in politics, but to accuse others of apathy just because they don't do the same is ridiculous.

I don't drive an SUV and I don't commute by bike. I don't get involved in politics that are connected with the current war(s). I am glad people like Jim are. I have chosen to put my time, energy, and money into other efforts. As I've mentioned on this site in the past, I spend a fair amount of effort working with the homeless--specificially active drug users who are homeless. I consider this group voiceless in our society, so I work with an organization that helps give them voice (as well as counseling, clean needles, hygiene kits, etc). I do so with a clean conscience knowing that folks like Jim are doing work on other issues that affect us all. To be judged by him, however, is a huge turnoff. He probably doesn't realize that in his passion for his cause he could be turning prospective allies away. That's a waste. I don't understand what good could possibly come out of trying to shame other people into seeing things from your point of view. It just doesn't work.

Back after a week away. My apologies if I sounded a bit strident when I was "discussing" this with whoever back a few pages, and my apparent lack of clarity. My annoyance, yes, is with most folks who complain but do nothing. But I did not mean to imply that political action was the end all. Voluenteer - at something - anything, where you think you can make even a small difference. That was my point. Cheers. And bigdrink.gif for lending a hand the way you choose.

I could not agree with you more.

Hope you enjoyed your week off.