Omega Pacific Link Cams

Klimber

It would be old news if Mark's cam failed at the spot mentioned in the "inspection notice", but it didn't. It failed at the intersection of the gray/gray lobes NOT the gray/yellow lobes.

From looking at mine, it appears that the only thing that holds that pin in place is the spring. my guess is that the spring came out of the pin, resulting in the failure.

Here's the inspection notice.

http://www.omegapac.com/op_climbing_notices.html

Edited by kurthicks

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have 3 (being a gearwhore and all). There's some positives and negatives with these.

Trangos extended range cams work better in flares and Metolius Supercams just work better period: and almost everyone seems to carry Camalots.

You do not get the OP range with any of those though. I think for people who don't get out a lot, it's just nice to have a go to piece as you're greasing off, instead of grabbing the wrong size and going: DOHHHH, then falling off as your arms burnout before you can put that incorrect size cam back and pluck the correct size off.

They have some major downside in they get sticky and feel dirty fast, unlike about every other cam out there that recommends cleaning and oiling and we all just ignore that, with these, you have to do it or the cam will not work.

Also, if the direction of pull is not correct, say the lil fella wiggles or moves like they love to do, I'd expect it to be more likely to break if it gets sideways and doesn't easily want to rotate when you fall on it.

BUT, for couchmasters or couch potatos, having one and being able to just grab and get a guaranteed fit is worth something. I like the yellow better.

But strangely, I find I don't routinely take them out and use them.

Hi, Mark ... I just sent you a PM. Although a fall from the Stovelegs isn't exactly within the design parameters of the Link Cams, there may be something to learn from studying the cam. Can I arrange a swap with you? I'll trade you a good one for the banged up one ... give me a call to arrange the return, please. 800.360.3990.

Regards,

--ML

Michael Lane

Sales & Marketing Director

Omega Pacific

I think it is a bit irresponsible to post pictures of a product like that without giving the back-story. The implication was that the damage occurred via climbing somehow, which it sounds now like it was not.

Yeah, I was just going to say. What were you trying to do here Mark?

Get off your high horses

Hi, Mark ... I just sent you a PM. Although a fall from the Stovelegs isn't exactly within the design parameters of the Link Cams, there may be something to learn from studying the cam. Can I arrange a swap with you? I'll trade you a good one for the banged up one ... give me a call to arrange the return, please. 800.360.3990.

Regards,

--ML

Michael Lane

Sales & Marketing Director

Omega Pacific

I left it hanging at Lost and Found at Camp 4