Do you hate Focus On The Family?

Dave_Schuldt

Just wondering - how many of you have close friends who don't share your political/religious outlook?

Yes JayB, it's true. Almost every single one of my friends is a liberal, "conservative"-hating, tree-hugging, atheist, anti-government, conspiracy theorist.

It's true I'm not open minded or receptive about the christian fundamentalists' religious/political agenda. I oppose it vehemently and consider anyone who espouses it to be my enemy.

I do however hold Voltaire's statement, "I may disagree with your opinion but will fight to the death for your right to express it" as a personal credo.

Then again, in the words of The Reverend Samuel L. Jackson, "YES THEY DESERVE TO DIE, AND I HOPE THEY BURN IN HELL!!!"

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That wasn't intended to be a criticism - just a question.

I once lived with a couple of guys who grew up in the South, attended Christian Schools, listened to Christian Music, Watched Christian TV, got their first jobs at Christian companies, etc. Most of the people in their neck of the woods had a worldview that was probably pretty similar to their own, so they could more or less hang out with like-minded folks exclusively and not exclude many people that they'd otherwise be friends with.

Not many people in the places I've spent most of my time share the entire agnostic, free-market, quasi-libertarian republican zetigeist so at least 95% percent of my friends and family register way to the left of me when it comes to politics, and just about the same percentage have some sort of religious faith as well. If I happened to live in an area where most of the people were agnostics who prefered Friedman to Keynes I wouldn't have to have made the effort. It's actually kind of fun being in stealth mode and just kind of listening along and offering neutral commentary "That's an interesting point...", "That's interesting. I hadn't thought of that.." at 95% of the social functions that I go to.

The other night I sat and smiled while listening to a group of people who were tremendously upset by the fact that most mainstream commentators generally had positive things to say about Reagan when he died. I was about to break out laughing because I can remember being seriously pissed off that I was too young to cast a vote for him during the '84 elections...

You know, I have this thread over in "Climbing Partners" that I'm sure will have its already slim chances of being answered absolutely crushed, but I'd rather stay home anyway yellaf.gif. Are there any other "religious" climbers out there? Or at least any gun-toting capitalists?

949868T.jpg

Just wondering - how many of you have close friends who don't share your political/religious outlook?

Yes JayB, it's true. Almost every single one of my friends is a liberal, "conservative"-hating, tree-hugging, atheist, anti-government, conspiracy theorist.

It's true I'm not open minded or receptive about the christian fundamentalists' religious/political agenda. I oppose it vehemently and consider anyone who espouses it to be my enemy.

I do however hold Voltaire's statement, "I may disagree with your opinion but will fight to the death for your right to express it" as a personal credo.

Then again, in the words of The Reverend Samuel L. Jackson, "YES THEY DESERVE TO DIE, AND I HOPE THEY BURN IN HELL!!!"

hmmm...i think i want to be alpinfox's friend.

...as long as he doesn't wear a banana hammock around me.

I am continuously running into people that I should probably loathe on the basis of some aspect of their outlook but most have this annoying tendency to bundle a bunch of redeeming qualities along with the bits that I don't care for as much. Much easier to keep the vigilance going when someone with a different perspective also happens to be a complete jackass.

yes wouldn't it be nice if the whole world could be evaluated in simplistic black and white terms. my mother is a flaming republican but i still love her. most of my co-workers are more liberal than i am and i like several of them. i've even got one or two friends that voted for bush....twice. heck when i was younger, i even voted republican a few times.

as for religion...i take a harder line and have less tolerance for that than i do for a difference in politics. none the less, i've never refused to share a beer with someone just b/c they went to church.

yes wouldn't it be nice if the whole world could be evaluated in simplistic black and white terms. my mother is a flaming republican but i still love her. most of my co-workers are more liberal than i am and i like several of them. i've even got one or two friends that voted for bush....twice. heck when i was younger, i even voted republican a few times.

as for religion...i take a harder line and have less tolerance for that than i do for a difference in politics. none the less, i've never refused to share a beer with someone just b/c they went to church.

When it comes to religion I've found that I care less and less what people say they believe and more and more about how they act, as the latter is a way better reflection of what their true motives are and what they actually believe.

When it comes to religion I've found that I care less and less what people say they believe and more and more about how they act, as the latter is a way better reflection of what their true motives are and what they actually believe.

Interesting giving the increasing guld between professed beliefs and practiced beliefs in America (and abroad, places like the Muslim world)

I actually think that for the most part there's been a pretty steady improvement in that direction over time, at least in most cases. If the walls of most Abbey's from the Middle Ages could talk it would probably make the recent Catholic Molestation Confessional seem like an episode of "Sesame Street."

I just care about how funny people are on the internet, that's why Oilyclimber is my best friend.