[TR] Bridge over the Willy- 70ft swing attempt 8/12/2006

powderhound

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I've seen that video, and I think someone DID die (or was paralyzed). The dumbshit who came up with the idea did something like, "well, this cable is rated to 5000lbs, and all of us together only weigh 1500lbs, so we'll be fine". Of course much higher forces are generated in a fall than the weight of the mass falling, so the cable broke.

I think both someone died and another was paralyzed. Several of his friends sued him afterwards. And yeah he forgot about the potential energy getting turned into a centripetal force. (The calculation is left as an exercise for the reader ;-).

Raindawg: you rule!

Dirtyharry, what have you ever done ? Anywhere?

Bryan, I have a brand new 16 fall phat 11 mil rope (only soiled by my fellow CC.comers at the Butte twice) I'll put in the mix for backup if you want it.

I like the idea of an oblique angle jump. Got jumars too BTW. You might have a 2nd set and a pully or 2 for yarding the jumper up from the top in case you need too.

I've backed off lots of shit in my life, and got lots of fireside ribbing from my buddies for it too. I once hiked up to the East Buttress of El Cap cause I'd done it before and my other friend wanted someone who'd done the route with him: at the base, I said, dude, 2 days ago I came down off half dome and I'm still way trashed. I backed off then took a nap in camp 4 that day. ...Fireside humor ensued. I was easily crusing 5.11 trad at the time, and my buddies thought me backing off to take a nap was the funniest thing they'd heard. So what. At the end of the day, sometimes that little voice in the back of your head MUST be listened too. Knowing only you, I suspect you have twice the courage of Satan there, he's most likely never even thought of trying something like this and would piss on himself if he was confronted with it directly.

Rock on. I enjoyed the TR. grin.gif

Once I get home, I'll try to dig up the video of my friends and I doing this same thing from the railroad bridge near KPSP and post it. That swing is pretty huge, leaving you well off of the water when you are done swinging. The fun part is rapping off the end of the ropes and taking the ~40 foot plunge into the Green River below.

Anyone wanna give it a try? I have a friend who lives across the street so we can park without the RR seeing us cool.gif