squamish guidebook wtf?

glassgowkiss

so i decided to get the newest copy of the squamish guidebook by mclane. so here is my rant. not only the thing costs a lot of $$$, but doesn't even include routes in chek. all the photos are b&w and some of the pictures are out of focus!! (check some of the panoramic pics from smoke bluffs area). this is lame, lame, lame. i recommend not to get this book to punish the author and publishing company for lame job they did.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

well, my idea behind posting this is to tell people not to make a mistake and not to buy the guide. money talks bullshit walks

take aliens and their recall- i bet the result would be quite different if climbers went to the manufacturer. posting stuff like that on web pages is far more effective then trying to contact a producer of a bad product.

Quickdraw Publications (Marc Bourdon / Squamish Rock Guides ) put out a pretty good select guide to Squamish. They/he put out new editions about every other year and the website is quite up to date with new routes, free topos and errata.

squamishclimbing.com is another free online resource for sport climbing beta and topos.

Cairn Publishing (Matt Gunn) has produced an excellent guidebook to scrambling in the area, with good approach and road info for many of the routes in Alpine Select.

The climbing counter at MEC in Vancouver has new route books going back several years which are available for anyone to read/copy/republish.

Info about most new routes (i.e. the additions that might make it worth buying an updated edition of a guidebook) can be found online, or at MEC.

Elaho/Kevin McLane is not the only option when it comes to finding route info for the Squamish-Whistler corridor.

Vallhalla Pure Squamish rents copies of the Squamish guidebook too... and I bet you could find a photocopier somewhere in town rolleyes.gif ... like the library ... which probably also has copies of the guidebook. I agree that $45 is quite expensive and the quality of that guide is soso, but shelling that $$ out is not the only option.

the new guide doesn't have chek because it has focused down to just the squamish area in order to fit the tons of new routes that have gone up. the old guide covered from north vancouver to chek; the new guide from murrin to smoke bluffs and its still alot thicker.

there are other books to the areas like chek, but if they were all in that one guide it would be huge, heavy, and just be impractical.

so i decided to get the newest copy of the squamish guidebook by mclane. so here is my rant. not only the thing costs a lot of $$$, but doesn't even include routes in chek. all the photos are b&w and some of the pictures are out of focus!! (check some of the panoramic pics from smoke bluffs area). this is lame, lame, lame. i recommend not to get this book to punish the author and publishing company for lame job they did.

Can't believe you misssed a perfect opprotunity to use the word "Clownpunch". You're slipping Bob.