[TR] South Face Direct- Forbidden Peak- South Face Direct 8/5/2006

Jens

Climb: South Face Direct- Forbidden Peak-South Face Direct

Date of Climb: 8/5/2006

Trip Report:

After a failed attempt on the first winter ascent of the south face direct route on Forbidden Peak with Pax a few years back, I came back to make a summer climb of the route. Greg Carter (a buddy from the Seattle Vertical World) and I left Seattle at 1am and eventually slogged to the base. We climbed through the overhaning band via the right hand option mentioned in the Nelson guide. A blue green streak marked the start. After a while, we reached the fixed belay high point from my winter attempt. After several more hours, we reached the final headwall below the summit. The 1977 route finishes on an easy slab that ends a few feet west of the summit. Just for kicks, I lead an overhanging corner a few feet to the left for a top out for a more demanding finish. The rock down low on the route was awful but up high it was awesome. In these modern times, the route was not difficult, however due to the mandatory 40 foot runouts on 5.9 friction face climbing, a winter ascent (without a lot of ice formed) may be at least a decade away in may humble opinion. The crux pitch as described in the guidebooks went at about 5.10a/b. On the way out, Greg spiked himself pretty bad with his crampon but managed to hike out without a single complaint. Today he got stitches! Other than the wound, It was a fine day out in the hills.

454HPIM0046-med.JPG

Greg Having fun!

454HPIM0034-med.JPG454HPIM0039-med.JPG454HPIM0043-med.JPG

The overhanging 10c pitch (just for fun)

454HPIM0042-med.JPG454HPIM0045-med.JPG

Gear Notes:

No bug spray needed.

Water available everywhere.

Cascade river road is due for a grating.

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Marcus and I did this route yesterday car to Portland (thinking it had been quite some time since the last party had been on it!!!).

It was a neat little route, but the rock was kinda shit. We forgot the topo, but I'm certain we did the 1st and last pitch right. I'll post a pic or two later.

Marcus and I did this route yesterday car to Portland (thinking it had been quite some time since the last party had been on it!!!).

It was a neat little route, but the rock was kinda shit. We forgot the topo, but I'm certain we did the 1st and last pitch right. I'll post a pic or two later.

You guys do Freedom Writer too or just skip WA Pass completely?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

Having climbed both starts, my memory is that both were decent to pretty good. It's on the upper part where I'm confused. The first time I loved the climb and thought the rock was pretty darn good.. The second time we got into some funky rock and I didn't like the climb so much. Both times we ended up on the same ledge just below the top that Jens describes. Pax get back up there and figure out where the best route is. Jens, Greg, Marcus, Mike; can you draw a line on a picture where you climbed before you forget? I think the second time Bill and I may have strayed a bit right from where John and I climbed. I remember I had some nice pics of John Stoddard. I should dig them out.