PDX: Cheap Noodles and Taco joints

layton

I keep driving by all these small noodle joints, and taco stands. Some are amazing, some should supply a home food poising kit.

So let's hear what's out there. I've seen tons on Powel, 82nd, Sandy out past the airport.

Lily Market on Halsey just east of 122nd is awesome! 3-6 bucks will get you a shit ton of really really good and fresh asian food. Plus there is a market to shop at.

I went to some place tonight on 82nd just north of Powell in a big Asian marketplace. It was the far on on the left (lots of place there). I couldn't figure out the menu and wound up getting Tripe, Tendon, Liver, and rare Beef soup. Not wanting to look like a pussy, I ate it all, then later threw up at home.

Marcus should be a good source for the taco stands. Boy likes him some tacos.

Edited by michael_layton

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Annes Deli on the corner of 82nd and Fremont (inside the building attached to the south of the Shell Gasstation) should be supported by everybody. They're great folks, struggling immigrants from Vietmam, have amazing sandiches, such as the lemon grass beef (large) on an authentic French style roll for $2.50.

The Beef Pho (soup) is great if you like Vietnamese Soup too.

I could live there. Cash only, close at 7pm most days and you don't get it as fast as McDonalds either. .

Annes Deli on the corner of 82nd and Fremont (inside the building attached to the south of the Shell Gasstation) should be supported by everybody. They're great folks, struggling immigrants from Vietmam, have amazing sandiches, such as the lemon grass beef (large) on an authentic French style roll for $2.50.

I could live there. Cash only, close at 7pm most days and you don't get it as fast as McDonalds either. .

They have any veggie stuff there? Fish is okay, but I'm leavin' chicken and beef off the roster these days...

They have any veggie stuff there? Fish is okay, but I'm leavin' chicken and beef off the roster these days...

good luck finding vegie stuff at a off the boat noodle place, or taco bus. They'll probably stare at you like you have gone insane.

King Burrito on 2924 N Lombard St. The best burritos I've had in Portland, and they do some fish\veggie meals too.

$5.00 will buy you enough food to make a second meal out of what you cannot shove into your gullet.

Make Mr. Ceosote proud!

-r

good luck finding vegie stuff at a off the boat noodle place, or taco bus. They'll probably stare at you like you have gone insane.

THREAD DRIFT WARNING

Funny story from Vietnam

So my wife's vegetarian; I'm not. We're in Saigon a few years back, and she's trying to tell the waiter that she wants something without any meat in it. Finally, she thinks she's been successful. Food comes, and she's served what appears to be the feet (the clawed ends) of chickens. After some "discussion", the waiter reappears with a magazine and points out a rooster in it. He points to the rooster's feet, and points at the plate in front of my wife. My wife indicates that she's not going to eat it (which I eventually do). The waiter is adamant in his broken English, "No meat, just feet." yellaf.gif

We now return you to your regularly scheduled thread.

If you're in the Dry Shitties, the Yummie Pho at the corner of Columbia Center Blvd and Clearwater Ave is the place to get your noodle fix.

I eat there about 3X/week.

It's grubbin food and dirt cheap, and nothing hits the spot when you roll back into town at midnight and there is nothing open for food. The only time I've ever had it be hairy was at 3 am on a Saturday night/morning. Nothing went down, just lots of kids being loud. Then you just have to go with a buddy and sit with your back to the wall...

I'll hit the Taco Bell instead on MLK and Lombard on the way in ( I live right off Dekum and 18th), so Javiers is actually out of the way, just slightly...Not by much though. Maybe after the next assault i'll give Javiers a try...

BTW do they have anything in the vegetarian world? (not me but the wife requires it, fish is OK though)...

Edited by Frikadeller

They've got the usual chili relleno (sp?) and veggie burrito options, you can also do bean and cheese burritos, though I can't vouch for the vegetarian status of the beans. For those alpine starts we'll hit it on the way out of town and get the breakfast burrito without meat, but my personal favorite is the fish taco.

You don't go for the dining experience, but it definitely has its charms when you're coming back into town at 1 am and there's nothing waiting in the fridge.

Jeff