Westport - Surfing

rbwen

The wife and I are headed over for a week to camp and surf. Anyone been there? Good places to buy used gear or rent? I've done the obvious Google searches but thought someone might have some inside beta.

What is the best beach? Place to camp?

Also, is a 3mm wetsuit going to cut it in the Pacific?

Any info is appreciated!

Thanks...rbwen

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Surfing as a physical activity is pretty cool. Too bad about the rest of the sport. The thuggish localism is a major drag, but given the excess of participants relative to the number of easily accessible breaks, perhaps it's inevitable.

The attitude amongst surfers has got to be the worst of any that I've ever enountered - even to each other, let alone anyone else who's out in the waves. Kayakers as a group seem to be the coolest to each other by far, and climbing usually falls somewhere in the middle.

Surfing as a physical activity is pretty cool. Too bad about the rest of the sport. The thuggish localism is a major drag, but given the excess of participants relative to the number of easily accessible breaks, perhaps it's inevitable.

Localisms been on the decline in CA for 10+ years. Aside from a few topoftheline breaks it's more unfriendliness than thuggishness. Yes, you'll still get the stinkeye in Hawaii (maybe more if you are stupid) - but thats what happens to haoles, you'll get it at the bar too. I do most of my surfing down the street from me now, it's a mediocre wave, but it's just me and my neighbors - a big days 5-6 people out. Even the 'big' breaks in town aren't as thuggish and unfriendly as a big ski resort like Mammoth - ski areas are the new frontier of localism thumbs_down.gif

my perception for WA state surfing is probably based on the fact that as little as 7-8 years ago you could go hit 1st Beach or Hobuck and not see another person out on the water...not it is crowded, and some people are definitely packing an attitude out there. one of my friends who is out there all the time says he is even considering to just go climbing instead because the people tend to have less attitude. of course, there are a few beaches that don't have that vibe still.

Localisms been on the decline in CA for 10+ years. Aside from a few topoftheline breaks it's more unfriendliness than thuggishness. Yes, you'll still get the stinkeye in Hawaii (maybe more if you are stupid) - but thats what happens to haoles, you'll get it at the bar too. I do most of my surfing down the street from me now, it's a mediocre wave, but it's just me and my neighbors - a big days 5-6 people out. Even the 'big' breaks in town aren't as thuggish and unfriendly as a big ski resort like Mammoth - ski areas are the new frontier of localism thumbs_down.gif

What situations do you run into that? Is it the entire mountain/town that they've claimed as their own, or is it just a stash/run/etc?

The only time I've ever run into anything like that is people just generally being inconsiderate and/or stupid in parks, snaking past the crowd at the line-up, cutting someone off on the inrun, not waiting to see if the landing is clear -etc - but that seems to have more to do with general lameness and the fact that the demographics aren't exactly conducive to civility.

Also, is a 3mm wetsuit going to cut it in the Pacific?

In the PNW? No. 4/3 or 5/4/3 even in summer.

I don't totally agree with this....I wear a 3/2 for the summer and have been fine. I enjoy the added mobility and rarely get cold. A 4/3 with a hood will get you through the rest of the year. You'll get your ass kicked at the westport jetty if you can't make it down the line and your in the way....its sad but true. I suggest the groins in town or short sands if you need to learn

You obviously haven't experienced lift line cronyism and other lift line antics. First guy roles into the lift line, yells single, cuts to the front. Then his buddy yells single from the back and cruises up to the front to meet his buddy. I've never been much of a fan of it, but some folks like to do it. Now aggressive lift line movement (boxing out the people next to you whenever two lines merge), I'm all for.

Still, I've never seen much territorial conflict at the ski areas, just elite localism. Like at Mt Baker when Air (Care) Bears coach Dean Collins would try and block off natural inbounds jumps so his folks could ride them without anybody else. That guy was an asshole, but all his threats seemed pretty empty and I don't think anyone gave a shit what he wanted.

that seems to have more to do with general lameness and the fact that the demographics aren't exactly conducive to civility.

It's probably more that. I've noticed a marked increase in hostility/attitude at the big ski resorts, esp. on gong show powder days, and a decrease in localism attitude at surf breaks. The ski stinkeye will last all day, the surf stinkeye passes unless you suck and don't belong at the break - shown by flailing on a wave.

I surfed a 4/3 in Oregon all season. Sometimes in summer I'd leave the booties at home - even then they'd go numb occaisonally. I don't find a big difference between 4/3 and 3/2 in terms of mobility, mostly because surfing in a wetsuit is like sex with a condom. Better than nothing, but not something for the long term.

twin harbors state park is the closest state campground to westport, if you're planning to be there on a weekend, get in a reservation now or you may be outta luck.

Although I've had decent service at The Surf Shop, I heard from a fella who got a lot of flak from the employees cause he went to rent a board, they were all rented out and they couldn't convince him to rent a boogie board instead. Steepwater has nice folks who work there.

But if you're gonna be out there for a week, it may be best to rent gear in Seattle (of if thats not along your route to Westport, maybe theres a place in Tacoma?) I dont' think that The Surf Shop or Steepwater allow 24 hr rentals (but you may want to check), so your limited to surfing during kook prime time 9am-4pm...if you have the gear with you, then you can get in a early morning session, and hit it again in the evenings when the crowds are down. Weekdays crowds are rarely a problem...a few fridays ago there were more sealions in the water at the jetty than surfers when I got there.

Don't listen to folks who are telling you you'll get beat up and that localism is a major issue at Westport...its not as long as you're not a total kook out there. Before you paddle out into a lineup just make sure you understand the basic rules about who has the right of way when paddling for a wave on the outside, and what direction to move to get out of someones way.

I started surfing last summer and hit westport regularly (when I don't have time to make the drive to better spots like LaPush or anything in Oregon). I've never had problems with localism...but I also can tell when theres a pack of locals on the better peak near the jetty and I stay away.

I use a hooded 4/3 suit even in summer, but I imagine a 3mm suit will be just fine.

If you're just learning to surf, go to Westhaven State Park...theres ample room to spread out and you can goof around in the whitewater without getting in anyones way. Theres is often a rip along the jetty, which can be great for helping ya to get outside to the larger waves...never seen a rip elsewhere on the beach there, but there is usually a strong longshore current that will carry you south along the beach.

Avoid the Cove....unless you're a good shortboarder you won't be able to handle the wave there...and odds are since its summertime the swell will be too small for it to be 'working' there anyways.

The Groins can be fun, certainly a cleaner wave than the beachbreak you'll get at the Jetty/Westhaven...but theres a limited amount of space there, so if theres anyplace you'll receive shit for being a noobie and getting the way, its probably gonna be there if the waves are good and you're clogging up area.

Have fun! most folks out at westport are non-locals too and plenty are just learning. Everyone I've talked with has always been very friendly, hopefully your experience will be just as positive.

you may want check out oregonsurf.com or wannasurf.com for some info on surfing in the northwest...oregonsurf is rather similar to the silliness on this board, but theres a fair amount of good info to be had. wink.gif

oh, and one other thing...if you've got a week to surf, why go to westport? Drive an extra few hours and get to Oregon...camp at Nehalem Bay State Park and surf at Short Sands/Oswald West State Park....far more beautiful a spot to play in the ocean.