Zion

Fejas

No Utah page, obviously cause its not in the Cascades...

I'm going to Zion in utah, and am going to be backpacking with a bunch of Gapers... Entering in on the west rim trail from springdale. A buddy wants to try his hand at a few routs, any buddy know of any (no higher than 5.9) routs in that area I could take him on...

Thanks a bunch...

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You won't find much at that level. Go to the visitors center. They have several binders there full of route discriptions. I think the first couple pitches of space shot are pretty easy. If it where me, I would forget the climbing and go play in some of the slot canyons. Bring a rope and prepare to get your feet wet.

Back in 1975, I put up a route on a satellite spur of Lady Mountain (directly across the canyon from Zion Lodge) that went for about a dozen pitches at 5.7 - called it Chimney Sweep, for reasons that will be obvious if you try it. The description should be buried in those binders SnailEye refers to. Jimmy Dunn and Dean Tschappat, out of Colorado Springs, did a long 5.6 route on Checkerboard Mesa back in '73 or so--I saw Dean's slides of that route, and it looked fun. The Pulpit, a tiny tower right in the parking lot turnaround at the end of the road up the Virgin River, is a great "demo" or introduction climb, but it still required aiders last time I was there ('77) SnailEye is right about the canyoneering - it is not to be missed. I've hiked the Virgin River Narrows twice, and would do it again. The Paranawheap (not sure I spelled that right) Narrows is also great, and less traveled than the Virgin River. Just watch the weather -- if it rains while you're partway through one of those narrows trips, there's little chance of survival... Whatever you end up doing, you're bound to have a good time - its an amazing place. If you PM me a physical address, I could probably excavate a photo of Lady Mountain and draw the Chimney Sweep line for you...

canyoneering would be much more fun than trying to find a moderate in zion

good company for beta and gear near zion http://www.zionadventures.com/

a mini online guide to canyons in zion. with ratings for beginners.

http://www.canyoneering.net/content/inde...=20040213074631

too bad the canyons are so far away, I could spend more time there.

Jimmy Dunn and Dean Tschappat, out of Colorado Springs, did a long 5.6 route on Checkerboard Mesa back in '73 or so--I saw Dean's slides of that route, and it looked fun.

Wheat Chex! Good fun multi pitch route, like 4 or 5 pitches, walk off left and down the drainage back to the car! If you look at the classic shot of the formation from the road, WC is the obvious weakness that extends all the way up the center of the face. The rock is very soft...the upper white, leached Navajo. I knocked a tire sized block loose, yelled as it was headed for my partner, but by the time it reached him it was a rain of sand.

Also good stuff:

Pulpit, practice cliffs, down o' the mouth, temple of sinawava (tourista),and the cerberus area are all classic low impact cragging options. Of course I would also recommend Kolob, SF of Taylor creek <insert chestbeat>

But yeah some short canyon trips would be a hoot too, Keyhole, Pine Creek, and Behunin are three good, low key canyoneering trips!

Enjoy and I am envious!