Snake encounter near Snow Lake Trailhead

mr.radon

Anyone know what kind of a snake this is.

I walked by, being I have encountered several rattle snakes in the desert I heard the sound but it sounded a little off. Since it came from the left and slightly behind I just hauled ass downtrail, however Jdog was a few steps behind and didn't want to cross right away. He managed to get around but I still say the sound was off. Who knows snakes? I heard of a snake that fakes the sound of a rattler, this one of them?

Too bad it was on the hike out not in, always wanted to try snake burgers cheeburga_ron.gif

580305-033SRattlesnakeIscared.jpg.006af80d45e3a5defeab493751cdffd0.jpg

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Definitly a Northern Pacific rattlesnake, eyestripe and diamond shaped head.

A gopher snake will sometimes rattle their tail in dry leaves and a cottonmouth will, but cottonmouths aren't in this area, though there are a lot of other types of cottonmounths in leavenworth.

Rattlesnakes like to take in sun after eating to help digest.

though there are a lot of other types of cottonmounths in leavenworth.

Nothin a sixer of headbusters can't cure.

- bigdrink.gif

There are no "cottonmouths" in the PNW. There are 3 PNW subspecies of the western rattlesnake of which only one occurs in WA and CA - as noted before - the northern Pacific rattlesnake Crotalus virdis oreganus. Common on the east side of the WA Cascades and through the Columbia Gorge to Skamania Co. Leave them alone and they will do the same. Just let them go on their way. bigdrink.gif

There are no "cottonmouths" in the PNW. There are 3 PNW subspecies of the western rattlesnake of which only one occurs in WA and CA - as noted before - the northern Pacific rattlesnake Crotalus virdis oreganus. Common on the east side of the WA Cascades and through the Columbia Gorge to Skamania Co. Leave them alone and they will do the same. Just let them go on their way. bigdrink.gif

yelrotflmao.gifyelrotflmao.gifyelrotflmao.gifyelrotflmao.gif

Speaking of rubber snakes, I always wanted to put a rubber rattlesnake on the trail at the Sunshine Wall at Vantage on a busy spring day and watch the mayhem. Tee hee.

I used to stick a rubber snakes in my gf dresser drawers. I knew she found it when I would hear a blood curdling scream.

An after thought, maybe that is why she is not my gf anymore.... something to think about.