It looks like JRCO is going to become JRWA

JRCO

So I was offered a great job in Olympia requiring that I move and give up my house in the foothills above Denver. While the job decision is a no brainer, I am having trouble dealing with the fact I will be giving up my very close proximity to climbing and the great weather. I actually grew up in Olympia, so I am very familiar with the weather, town and politics. I actually used to climb with some of you. However, when I lived there, I was an exit 38 bolt clipping sport weeny with an occasional snow slog up some glacier and have now progressed into a hand jambing, ice tool swinging fool. So for those of you that have gone from CO to WA or from WA to CO, do you find that it was worth it or do you wish you would have stayed? And is Olympia still a long was from any climbing? It does look like there is a little bit of a seen going on at the Tenino quarry during the week. Thanks for the input.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

WA positives:

-Shockingly less people in the mtns than in CO, lots of people have boats here which keep them down low in good weather which leads to another positive...

-Water

-Much more stable snow pack, less avy danger.

-North Cascades, alpine rock

-Seemingly infinite glacier slog routes if it is your thing

CO positives:

-More rock routes than all the other states combined, sans CA.

-Better/more lift skiing

-You are rarely very far from a crag

-No highway 2 traffic (IMHO much slower/more frustrating than the I-70 mess)

-Weather

-Living in CO I thought bush whacking was a bikini wax.

OK, i moved from WA to CO two years ago. To Boulder to be exact, which is considered a pretty great place to live as a Climber. I'm back in WA now. Why? CO sucks. The Rockies are a second rate show after you've climbed in the Cascades. I'm sure i'd find it just great if I hadn't lived in WA before but the lack of water, green and real alpine in CO makes it a far cry from WA.

If it were up to me, I'd rather live in Olympia than ANYWHERE in the state of Colorado. Granted, Olympia isn't much of a city, but neither is Denver.

I've lived both places, dug both, bug I'd have to give the edge to WA on the variety of climbing here, and the relative lack of lightning in the Summer. The skiing in WA, both inbounds and BC, absolutely crushes CO - but the advantage goes the other way with respect to ice climbing.

Be sure to check out McCurdy Park Tower before you leave CO. I've been wanting to get back there ever since I left.

Yeah, the lightning got seriously old. CO's winter weather is, without a doubt, much better than their summer weather. I would take PNW summers over CO summers in a heart beat. Having to end your day in the mountains at 3pm every day in the summer is real lame.

I grew up near Confier, so I can relate to your issues. While there is great climbing in the Splat, Boulder, etc. I have found the climbing here to be great (assuming you get the weather window). If you are just into rock, then I would suggest that you stay in Colorado, you will never beat the amount of nice sunny days. If you like to climb a variety of things (ice, alpine, rock, mountains), then I say WA is the place to be. The CO 14ers are just not as interesting as the mountains out here.

I grew up near Confier, so I can relate to your issues. While there is great climbing in the Splat, Boulder, etc. I have found the climbing here to be great (assuming you get the weather window). If you are just into rock, then I would suggest that you stay in Colorado, you will never beat the amount of nice sunny days. If you like to climb a variety of things (ice, alpine, rock, mountains), then I say WA is the place to be. The CO 14ers are just not as interesting as the mountains out here.

I'd agree with all of the above. CO is great for rock and ice climbing, but if you're into more than that then WA rules.

I grew up in Western Washington and I spent 3 years around Boulder. I like it here better; I should also say that I gave myself a $7/hr pay raise just by moving back here.

The flyfishing in Western WA also sucks in a massive way compared to CO.

Unless you like anadromous species....

If heading out to the river with your snagging rig during a Chum run is your idea of fishing, maybe, but most Steelhead/King runs declined to waste-of-time level a generation ago.

The flyfishing in Western WA also sucks in a massive way compared to CO.

Who cares, we have the Pacific ocean. You ever try to eat seafood in CO? Blech...

Just on the off chance that JRCO is into that. Thankfully you can head to Eastern Washington if you are jonesing for some decent fishing, although it's mostly the vastly-inferior stillwater variety.

If heading out to the river with your snagging rig during a Chum run is your idea of fishing, maybe, but most Steelhead/King runs declined to waste-of-time level a generation ago.

Heh, I didn't say it was great... but then my limited CO flyfishing experience wasn't stellar either, too many people for small fish in low flows (Wa/Or weren't any better, not much worse)

It'd definitely be a nice place to live for outdoor sports - I just find the CO attitude that it's the best and only place for outdoor activities amusing (see numerous threads on this site)... like the Californians or New Yorkers who don't believe culture exists outside of their urban area.

Having recently returned from four and a half years in Colorado, I can safely say I'd take WA over CO any day, especially in terms of geographic diversity. Add on the fact that folks (and climbers) in WA are generally nicer and more sociable, it's a no-brainer.

Hey thanks everyone for the posts. It looks like I will be heading that way and plan to be there around the first of July. So hear goes the callout for climbing partners. I am basically willing to climb anything anywhere(alpine, trad, sport, ice, mixed). I have all the gear you could possibly need. I also have a wife and three kids so schedules and on time partners tend to be important. Shoot me a PM.