Your guys' thoughts on this???

RuMR

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wonder if he got a lead card. What exactly does jumping off the route test?

Ability to fall under control and a willingness to fall. A lot of "leaders" who don't fall will get into some trouble when they try to hang on for dear life, often resulting in a peeling tumble fall. Not good

• 2 months later...

For those of you too lazy to read the report, the conclusion was that the rope was weakened by sulfuric acid (battery acid). They don't know how the acid came in contact with the rope, but it may have been spilled on a parking lot surface (from a car) and picked up when the rope was set down on it.

The moral of the story is keep your ropes clean and watch where you put them. Keeping them in a rope bag is an excellent idea for many reasons.

told you so told ya so told ya so Goddamnit.

I just checked this whole thread and I don't see where you predicted the battery acid conclusion.

I say sir, you are a wannabe Nostradamus.

edit: Damnit. The catbird beat me to it. But my post is cleverererer.

Nah, been preaching rope bags and care ever since I carried a guy out once when this happened (rope fell apart under bodyweight, rope owner insisted "I've taken perfect care of that rope") while his buddy was rapping on real rocks on an older furred rope. Thank God he only had his femur sticking out of his thigh until he passed out. We're out in the middle of Eastern Oregon pre-cell phones so we made a rope litter/splinted and carried him out. Ended well with the exception I lost a great (then very bloodied) denim shirt as a pad and never got it back.

Next move for me, spent the money on rope bags for every rope I own and never looked back....err, except for moments like these.....

Told ya so on another site:

Says the same thing there.

So which rope manufacturer will be the first to incorporate a pH-sensitive dye into the cover of their ropes. Get acid (or alkali) on your rope and it would turn red. Hey I should patent that idea!

I would like to put in my order for one, but i would like it to turn purple.

it is a pretty good idea, get working on it bigdrink.gif