Spring Picnic This Week

mattp

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Somehow, I deleted the prior discussion when I was trying just to move things around a bit. Anyway, what I offered was a little more information about the Climbers Picnic event, and some others had a few questions, like "can I bring my kids?" A couple more said: if THOSE guys are going to be showing slides, COUNT ME IN!

The Climbers' Picnic was originally hosted by Julie Brugger in the 1980's. It is a gathering of climbers, celebrating the coming climbing season. In attendance there will be a mix of ages and types of climbing interest, and we'll have a barbeque and related chatter followed with slides when it gets dark enough. If you have something you'd like to show us, send me a private message and we'll try to have what you need.

We'll provide charcoal and paper plates and stuff like that. Bring something to grill, a side dish, something to share. Or just show up.

Kids are welcome; some folks have brought their parents, too.

Directions: As posted above, there is a park entrance on Aurora Avenue North, northbound, about one half mile north of N. 50th. It is poorly marked and comes up suddenly. Enter the park, and turn quickly left. Picnic Shelter #6 will be on your right. There is another "back entrance" via a park roadway winding up the hill from the Tennis Courts near the south end of Greenlake: map showing shelter location within the park.

It looks like we’re going to have good weather on Thursday so I’ll probably bring a set of very cool mounted prints shot by the late Larry Kemp, who was killed in a bicycle accident in Majorca two years ago (the weather will have to be perfect, though, as the prints are mounted but not framed and they cannot be exposed to any moisture).

Larry was a regular fixture at Index for many years and a very strong rock climber. Every time I ran into him he had an encouraging word for a relatively bumbly recreational climber like myself. In later years, he took to photographing rock climbing as much as actually climbing in itself. Larry’s shots have appeared in climbing magazines and also on the cover of at least two rock climbing guidebooks in Washington. He mostly shot at Index, Leavenworth, and Squamish. Towards the end of his life, he became an avid bicycle racer and he was well known in that community where group rides commemorating his life have taken place for the last two years in a row.

For those of you into bicycle riding, consider attending the Larry Kemp Memorial Ride: May 27.

That event will benefit the Larry Kemp Memorial Fund, which was created and set up in partnership with the Washington State Bicycle Association(WSBA), the governing body of bicycle racing in Washington State. The fund sponsors a program oriented toward getting younger riders interested in bicycle racing. For more info visit www.jetcityvelo.com.

Kemp280.jpg

Clay, at Index. Photo by Larry Kemp.

It's looking pretty good for a picnic tomorrow.

THURSDAY...SUNNY. HIGHS IN THE UPPER 60S TO MID 70S. NORTH WIND TO 10 MPH.

THURSDAY NIGHT...MOSTLY CLEAR. LOWS IN THE 40S. LIGHT WIND.

There are several grills there. Who has the big grillmeister hats and extra long spatulas? Half a cow in your freezer?