Rope Care?

sws

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I like to wash my cord at home as I find I can get more dirt out of it. I use one of my gear tupperware containers. Put that in the tub, toss in some rope wash and warm water and soak it for about 15-30 minutes. Stir it up for 5 minutes or so then dump and rinse. Then I repeat that a few times without soap. The reason I like doing it at home is that I find it takes a good five stir and rinse sessions before the water isn’t dirty when dumping. With most machines you only get one or two fresh rinses before the cycle is over. Plus it’s cheaper at home.

1 thing I did yesterday to my 7 year old 3rd rope I'd not recommend on the way to the laundramat. Trundled a 200 lb rock 70 feet. It hit a small sapling and altered course right onto the rope. blush.gif The impact shook the wall.

The rope doesn't look as bad as I though as it was on soft dirt and sank down on impact. I tied a knot in the spot and kept using it so I could get down, however: I'll cut it off at that spot, wash it with Woolite and put it on e-bay as a "slightly used" rope.

Anyone need to buy a great rope, 100 percent kernmantel! ?yelrotflmao.gif

PS, kidding about the ebay part. I'm just saying that for Joseph since he bought a used rope off ebay for his lead line.

Regards:

Bill

The other reason I don't want to do it at home is all the dirt, grime, black stuff that I'm worried about messing up my next load of whites wink.gif

You have whites? Ever since I started doing this, everything I own is pale gray. wink.gif

I like to wash my cord at home as I find I can get more dirt out of it. I use one of my gear tupperware containers. Put that in the tub, toss in some rope wash and warm water and soak it for about 15-30 minutes. Stir it up for 5 minutes or so then dump and rinse. Then I repeat that a few times without soap. The reason I like doing it at home is that I find it takes a good five stir and rinse sessions before the water isn’t dirty when dumping. With most machines you only get one or two fresh rinses before the cycle is over. Plus it’s cheaper at home.

Another vote for this one... except I just use the whole tub and not the gear container. More room to flake it out and hand agitate.

The rope, that is.