Dirt and new routes at Index

Wallstein

During the last two weeks I have been scrubbing and cleaning some new and old routes on the lower town wall with a friend of mine. Due to all of this cleaning we have kind of created a mess, mainly from the top of Sloe Children on down. We have attempted to clean sloe children, city park and Godzilla after we are done everyday but have been unable to totally clean them yet. All of the above mentioned routes are clean enough to climb but don’t be surprised if you find some dirt perched on a ledge. Luckily people haven’t been climbing out there much lately, even though the weather has been incredible.

If anyone is interested in helping to clean and rebolt some of the upper pitches on the lower wall let me know. Some things that still need new bolts and a scrub are p3 and p4 of Japanese Gardens, Klaus Von Bulen, Giant sized baby thing, Journey to Pitar, and the last pitch of TPMV. I can supply most of the tools and hang the rope wherever it needs to go. If you are interested in helping send me pm and we can work something out. I have to go to Alta this weekend to go skiing so I won’t be out there this weekend but I am sure I’ll be there everyday next week.

Mikey

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You know what a hard life I live pete, I have to go on an all expenses paid trip to go skiing for the weekend, sometimes I wonder who I pissed off to make my life so suck. Head on over sometime and do some scrambling with me. I'll be around for a month or so.

Get a gas powered leaf blower, seriously. They make one that weighs like 7 pounds and runs about $60. Takes only a few minutes and does a better job than mother nature. A bit annoying to other climbers for a minute or two but you are doing all of us a great service so they should deal.

I also have one here in Ballard that you could borrow, sling is already attached...

Thanks for the hard work. wave.gif

Get a gas powered leaf blower, seriously. They make one that weighs like 7 pounds and runs about $60. Takes only a few minutes and does a better job than mother nature. A bit annoying to other climbers for a minute or two but you are doing all of us a great service so they should deal.

I also have one here in Ballard that you could borrow, sling is already attached...

Thanks for the hard work. wave.gif

2 cycle blowers are the shit for clean up. They work faster and better than you ever could with a broom or brush. thumbs_up.gif

• 2 months later...

We somehow managed to dodge the rain and climb Princely Ambitions (p1&p2) and Godzilla last night (only those routes because we were slower as a threesome). We didn't notice any dirt on Godzilla.

The bottoms of PA and Godzilla were pretty darn wet (happily aided the 5.8+ mantle on PA and yarded on the bolt ladder start to Godzilla. The rest of the routes were damp but quite climbable. There's some bush at the start of the right-crack start of Godzilla (seeping wet) that needs some trimming.

We somehow managed to dodge the rain and climb Princely Ambitions (p1&p2) and Godzilla last night (only those routes because we were slower as a threesome). We didn't notice any dirt on Godzilla.

The bottoms of PA and Godzilla were pretty darn wet (happily aided the 5.8+ mantle on PA and yarded on the bolt ladder start to Godzilla. The rest of the routes were damp but quite climbable. There's some bush at the start of the right-crack start of Godzilla (seeping wet) that needs some trimming.

Thanks for the unsolicited and completely useless information about the two easiest routes at Index. wave.gif

Some other routes 5.9 and below:

GNS (twin cracks)

Pisces

Aries

G-M

Roger's Corner

Toxic Shock

1st anchors on Saggitarius

p1 Davis-Holland

Battered Sandwich

the_finger.gif

So these are new routes on Mount Index? How tall is that compared to Mt. Rainier?