Roslyn, WA sandstone bouldering area?

Jens

A guy was telling me a description about a really cool sandstone bouldering area on hill right above the town of Roslyn, WA. Anybody have any more specific rating, F.A., or approach details?

After getting rained out a bunch, This could be a great resource and an hour closer than Leavenworth or Vantage for most King County residents. I wouldn't normally make a post like this but in my experience, traffic can really clean up a lot of our grainy sandstone formations and their is little private land in this region. (I know I'm about to get flamed)

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Who said it was a really cool area? To me, it was complete and utter choss -- or more specifically, kitty litter. I went up there a few times when I lived there and returned deeply, deeply discouraged. There's lots of rock, but you can literally carve out holds in the barely consolidated sand with your hands. Of all the Roslyn/Swauk sandstone, this stuff has to be the worst.

There is evidence of people having climbed up there: On one outcrop, there's a 15-foot line of hangerless quarter-inchers right beside a series of deep, carved-out buckets, with an inch-deep groove at the top where the toprope wore down into the rock.

Not sure if the land is public or private, as the ridge is a real checkerboard.

By the way Jens, I'm back in WA for good. I'll give you a shout once I have my fat keister back into some semblance of fitness.

Matt, long time no see. (i've got a torn A2 pulley right now. frown.gif

I figured you'd know if anybody would.

I'm foggy on the details but this guy who was describing the area was talking it up nearly as much as swiftwater.

Who knows.

I have heard the various rumors, as well as wildly conflicted accounts of quality. supposedly there is much sandstone to be found on the backroads between snoqualmie pass/easton area and roslyn.

personally, everything around roslyn that I;ve seen to date is mega-choss crap.

If you are sober it sucks. But in my opinion it can be nice on a hot summer day seeing that it is just a short little stroll from Marco's or the Brick. Go north for a block then hang N/NW at the Plum creek station, you can be swillin in the sun and slippin off of sandstone, then go back to the bar when you are done. Rock is pretty cool up by Lake CleElum & further by China Falls, I think Matt would know more though.