Get a lawyer, Layton

foraker

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

These people were not merely calling their children 'Sweet Pea' and putting it on a shirt," Barthet said. "They were making this clothing available for sale to the general public

Oh the outrage--calling their own children by a trademarked name. Why didn't someone get sued for singing Old McDonald had a Farm in the shower?

Isn't it fun living in a country with over 70% of the world's lawyers?

It is a sad waste of human beings.

Even sadder is people won't do "the right thing" without threat of lawsuit frown.gif

I don't think policy or legal theory pertaining to intellectual property is quite that simple.

I don't think policy or legal theory pertaining to intellectual property is quite that simple.

It is pretty simple. There's $ to be made or protected. Lawyers are a gatekeeper to that $. The more money to be made or protected, the more lawyers.

I like how the lawyer purports that the trademark laws are there to "protect consumers from getting confused." (paraphrased)

Good to know that they are just doing the rest of us a favor. I would have been seriously fucked if I had bought the wrong Pea in a Pod baby product.

It is pretty simple. There's $ to be made or protected. Lawyers are a gatekeeper to that $. The more money to be made or protected, the more lawyers.

I think you are somewhat right about that. It seems in this "new" frontier, those making the $ are increasingly getting the courts and the legislature on their side, under the guise of the 1st amendment.

Oh the outrage--calling their own children by a trademarked name. Why didn't someone get sued for singing Old McDonald had a Farm in the shower?

Well... (1) because no one is attempting to make money singing Old McDonald while in the shower, and (2) I believe Old McDonald is no longer copyrighted and is in the Public Domain.

As much as I hate sticking up for the lawyers, you just can't go out and produce/market/sell any damn thing you want, just because you're some "mom and pop" store running out of a garage. It's called basic research - if what you're selling has been trademarked, then you'd better not be too surprised when someone knocks on your door and serves you.

What if the shoe was on the other foot? What if the small time outfit was the one with the trademark and the big time corporation walked all over it? Most likely, the lawsuit wouldn't go far because the small time outfit wouldn't have enough money to finance an assault of the big time corporation. The corporation could just wait them out, spending money on lawyers until the small time outfit ran out of funds.

In that case, would it not be right for small time outfit to defend its trademark?

Trademark/copyright/patent law is kinda fubared right now, in my opinion. But it's still the law, like it or not.

-kurt®

Kurt,

I think you oversimplify the problem....just like how you signed your post, if you tradmarked Kurt, and then someone else made "Kurt and hot carl are best friends" shirts, then you could take them to court, even if there was no relation, that shit is lame ass.....

There has to be some law about reproducing a product by a registered tradmark company vs. someone doing something completely different.

Kurt,

I think you oversimplify the problem....just like how you signed your post, if you tradmarked Kurt, and then someone else made "Kurt and hot carl are best friends" shirts, then you could take them to court, even if there was no relation, that shit is lame ass.....

Yeah... I oversimplified it, but it really gets down to (1) what the trademark pertains to and (2) if there could be confusion about the trademarked item.

Regarding the second item, there couldn't be any confusion with your "Kurt and Hot Carl are best friends" shirt because obviously you're refering to AlpineK, and not me. And besides, my name is only trademarked for items containing my name and the term "Dirty Sanchez". grin.gif

But seriously...

When somebody trademarks a word or phrase, they aren't laying claim to the word for every use - they have to specifically cite what products the word/phrase will be associated with. And the Trademark Office doesn't allow things like "every use known to man now and in the future." So with Layton's dirtbag example, the original dirtbag has trademarked the term with regards to clothing. Pretty broad claim in my book, but I'm no lawyer. So legally, anyone that produces clothing for profit - where there could be confusion as to who is profiting from the product - would be infringing on dirtbag's trademark. The whole confusion issue is where it gets sticky in court. It's pretty obvious if you're selling a software product named Excel that just happens to be a spreadsheet program, but you're not Microsoft. But not so obvious if you're both selling shirts with the term Dirtbag on it. It sucks, but no one ever said life was fair.

It's just like this recent suit involving Starbuck's...

http://www.dailyastorian.info/main.asp?S...tionID=&S=1

Here, the gal didn't even use their name or logo!

I agree... there needs to be some way of overhauling all this to allow companies to protect their "investment" in their image/name/etc while still allowing for some common sense.

-kurt®©

Interesting note relating to your article....

In Santiago, Chile there are several cafes called "Starlight" cafe. They use the same font as Starbucks, the same color green awnings, probably thinking that some Chileans will think it's probably just Starbucks. The copyright laws may not be as enforceable there?

Interesting note relating to your article....

In Santiago, Chile there are several cafes called "Starlight" cafe. They use the same font as Starbucks, the same color green awnings, probably thinking that some Chileans will think it's probably just Starbucks. The copyright laws may not be as enforceable there?

Yes and no. It all depends on how hungry the government is for foreign cash.

Chinese courts even sided with Starbucks in this one:

http://news.independent.co.uk/world/asia/article336269.ece

However, these folks I believe were using the same exact logo.

Good thing I got my Rolex over there before all this counterfeiting started.