• Announcements

• olyclimber

WELCOME TO THE CASCADECLIMBERS.COM FORUMS   02/03/18

We have upgraded to new forum software as of late last year, and it makes everything here so much better!  It is now much easier to do pretty much anything, including write Trip Reports, sell gear, schedule climbing related events, and more. There is a new reputation system that allows for positive contributors to be recognized,  it is possible to tag content with identifiers, drag and drop in images, and it is much easier to embed multimedia content from Youtube, Vimeo, and more.  In all, the site is much more user friendly, bug free, and feature rich!   Whether you're a new user or a grizzled cascadeclimbers.com veteran, we think you'll love the new forums. Enjoy!
Sign in to follow this  
olyclimber

They're watching

From I, Cringley:

Now for a final word on wiretapping, the NSA, and you, which were the primary topics of my last two columns. This last thought comes from an old friend of mine who is conservative in the very best sense and knows what he is writing about:

"Traffic analysis, at the NSA? I'm tempted to be sarcastic, but I won't be. As you might know, I started a company a few years ago with a former NSA guy -- somebody who was a cryptographer and Russian linguist on those submarines that snuck into Soviet harbors to tap their phone lines -- and we applied traffic analysis to Internet discussion groups to identify opinion leaders, conversation trends and so forth. We used a lot of techniques that were developed or applied to law enforcement. And we didn't use anything that violated anybody's security clearances... really!

"(My company) was acquired by a business intelligence company funded by the CIA venture capital outfit. Apparently the stuff I invented is now in the hands of a couple of intelligence agencies, including Homeland Security.

Hey Osama your anthrax order came early so I'm putting it in the same shipping container as your plutonium, k?

Do you suppose if someone posted something like "blow up the White House," that the NSA's little data-getter dealy would start monitoring our fine web forum? Not that DFA is saying "blow up the White House." That would be inexcusable, immoral, and illegal, as well as patently un-American. But, you know, hypothetically speaking.

and we applied traffic analysis to Internet discussion groups to identify opinion leaders, conversation trends and so forth.

Does he mean, like ... Google ??

I'm scared to think what Internet traffic analysis would say about me. blush.gif

Do you suppose if someone posted something like "blow up the White House," that the NSA's little data-getter dealy would start monitoring our fine web forum? Not that DFA is saying "blow up the White House." That would be inexcusable, immoral, and illegal, as well as patently un-American. But, you know, hypothetically speaking.
Mr. DFA, you realize that by printing such a phrase that you are creating "clutter" or irrelevant data. This could result in real threats not being identified. You, sir, are an anarchist!

osama bomb terror whitehouse bush nuclear iran alqaeda smallpox anthrax iraq binladen mujahadeen mohammed cartoon uranium russia explode embassy bomb missile terrorist damage danger earthfirst casualty explosive detonator torture al-zarqawi hostage h0witt CIA black helicopter pushtun afghanistan opium

Edited by olyclimber

osama bomb terror whitehouse bush nuclear iran alqaeda smallpox porter hammer anthrax iraq binladen mujahadeen mohammed cartoon uranium russia explode embassy bomb missile terrorist damage danger earthfirst iain morris casualty explosive detonator torture al-zarqawi hostage h0witt CIA black helicopter pushtun afghanistan opium

Oh, but surely now you've gone too far and doom looms for us all.

osama bomb terror whitehouse bush nuclear iran alqaeda smallpox porter hammer anthrax iraq binladen mujahadeen mohammed cartoon uranium russia explode embassy bomb missile terrorist damage danger earthfirst iain morris casualty explosive detonator torture al-zarqawi hostage h0witt CIA black helicopter pushtun afghanistan opium

Yikes!! hellno3d.gif