Drive a van to the South Pole

crazyjizzy

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That reminds me of a story.

I was driving the narrow, full-parking backstreets of Capitol Hill one day, when a Hummer appeared in fromt of me.

Normally, two cars can fit, albeit tightly, past each other. But not this time. Of course, in keeping with the laws of nature, I backed my small CRV down and allowed the larger animal to pass (lucky to not be devoured).

A funny thought struck me as it rolled by:

What if TWO Hummers confronted each other in a similar situation? Would they have a testosterone butting contest? Would they merely drive on the roofs of the subarus, bugs, and assorted small vehicles parked and wave to each other through their tinted windows on passing?

Would they have a testosterone butting contest? Would they merely drive on the roofs of the subarus, bugs, and assorted small vehicles parked and wave to each other through their tinted windows on passing?

Now that you mention it, it does seem like the hummer drivers always tint their windows. Maybe a little shame factor??

This part intrigues me the most:

Photos are shot by:

Chad Kukla

Facilities Engineer

South Pole Station 1

Chad is the owner of Team Rockstomper, a professional rock crawling team.

Someone want to educate me on what "rock crawling" is? Does it involve 4x4's?

"Professional rock crawling?" There are people who get PAID to drive these oversized Broncos off-road?

rolleyes.gif

This part intrigues me the most:

Photos are shot by:

Chad Kukla

Facilities Engineer

South Pole Station 1

Chad is the owner of Team Rockstomper, a professional rock crawling team.

Someone want to educate me on what "rock crawling" is? Does it involve 4x4's?

"Professional rock crawling?" There are people who get PAID to drive these oversized Broncos off-road?

rolleyes.gif

Damn where have you guys been. You live in Washington and you don't know about rock crawling. Yes I agree it is a stupid sport(?).

Their record is a bit weak though. They try to compare themselves to Hillary and others who started at sea level and farther away. Patriot hills is much higher, and closer to the pole, and it does not require ascending through the transantarctic mountains on the Beardsmore, Axel Heilberg , or Skeleton (used in the ' 58 traverse) glaciers which are very broken up. They do use four-wheel drived vans at McMurdo, but they are limited to the ice roads around the station and to the ice runway. Tracked vehicles are the norm. Driving an unsupported van through crevasse fields is likened to climbing Mt Rainier solo. It can be done easily if all goes well, but what if you decide to drop into a crevasse? Trip over. snugtop.gif

That reminds me of a story.

I was driving the narrow, full-parking backstreets of Capitol Hill one day, when a Hummer appeared in fromt of me.

Normally, two cars can fit, albeit tightly, past each other. But not this time. Of course, in keeping with the laws of nature, I backed my small CRV down and allowed the larger animal to pass (lucky to not be devoured).

A funny thought struck me as it rolled by:

What if TWO Hummers confronted each other in a similar situation? Would they have a testosterone butting contest? Would they merely drive on the roofs of the subarus, bugs, and assorted small vehicles parked and wave to each other through their tinted windows on passing?

Doesn't the driver who has to back uphill always have to be the one to retreat?