Dragontail, Triple Couloirs

pms

Just a quick update on the conditions: the runnels were not in as on Sunday. A strong team couldn't make it up, and we decided to take the

bypass rather than wait to be the third in line to try the runnels. Ultimately, all four teams took the bypass. There was a small patch of ice at

the entrance of the route, and a smear here and there on the bypass, and again on the exit pitch out of the second couloir. We could not

place any screws though. One of the teams dislodged a huge block that was loose just before where the rap anchor to drop down to the

second couloir is. This block was a disaster waiting to happen, and luckily, no damage was done.

It would've been more fun had the runnels been in, but the route is in good shape otherwise.

PS: I'm trying to get pics from the others - may be a TR will follow then.

when we were there last week, we built the rap anchor after the ramp in your pic above (pin,nut,sling, red webbing). Aaron and justin took the lower ramp and found an anchor already in place. Perhaps the lower ramp is the more heavily travelled option, thus explaining the death blocks. Last week everything was frozen solid, so loose blocks werent much of an issue.

Edited by TrogdortheBurninator

Suckbm and I tried to do the runnels and I took a 20 foot fall out of them. Fell about 8 feet vertical and then found myself upside down on my back. I slid upsidedown, down the ice for the remainder of the ride. Had one picket blow, and another that I placed in sugar snow hold. We came back down and then did the variation. Good to meet up with all of you and it was fun climbing together. I don't have too many picks but pm me your email and I'll get all of you pics. Plus I would like some too. -Craig

Edited by AlpineMonkey

Suckbm in first Couloir.

DSCN3069.jpg

Suckbm belaying just before I fell.

DSCN3070.jpg

Kurt Hicks, Suckbm, and LittleGorilla, and I think the 4th is Pup On the Mountain

DSCN3075.jpg

Entering the white out. On descent it was a complete white out, couldnt tell the ground from air at times.

DSCN3079.jpg

Edited by AlpineMonkey

Get a haircut, hippie!

I already took about 4" off. :noway:

pup on the mountain starting up the first couloir

bala1.jpg

The Hilary step crux. Craig in the background, Bala climbing.

bypass.jpg

The second couloir conga line

conga1.jpg

It was a great time climbing with all of you guys. I hope your beds were more restful than our post-climb bivy in the rest area by Quincy!

• Rawk on! 1

Suckbm and I tried to do the runnels and I took a 20 foot fall out of them. Fell about 8 feet vertical and then found myself upside down on my back. I slid upsidedown, down the ice for the remainder of the ride. Had one picket blow, and another that I placed in sugar snow hold. We came back down and then did the variation. Good to meet up with all of you and it was fun climbing together. I don't have too many picks but pm me your email and I'll get all of you pics. Plus I would like some too. -Craig
Upside down on your back. I wonder who you learned that technique from? ;)

right next door to tc, pat and i tried dragontail madness last week - fun route, and if you like dry-tooling (having honed yer skillz on the non-existent ice of tc) try moving one coulior over

here's the crux (big ass crack left of center - looks like it'll take a #6 though the beckey guide said 'chocks to 2 inches') and pat on the snowfield traversing over to it

dragontail666666.JPG

dragontail6666667.JPG

i think it's basically a winter/spring rock route - the original ascent was in april and was mostly on rock - would love to hear from anyone else who's done it as i've never seen a tr on it - we bivied in a cool snow cave formed by a huge flake and guarded by a big tree, just above the lower snow/ice field - climbing a pithc above that the next day to a point a pithc or so below the crux (which is that wide crack/chimney looking thing well left of the ice drip) - my partner didn't have any experience with dry-tooling and wasn't jazzed about the prospect of having to bail higher up if need be, so that was that - just getting back into the hidden coulior and downclimbing the ice there was entertaining though :)

The Dragontail Madness Route

The route. Green below bivvy, red above. Purple is a mistake in the Beckey guide photo.

462190408_d338953256_o.jpg

Signage

462168520_abeb081a94.jpg

Why do I always get a snot clearing photo?

462175565_75b48907cb.jpg

Eric traverses to the bivvy: the big tree/snow patch up and right.

462168846_68cfd4a49a.jpg

Ahh. All warm and comfy. You?

462175827_317c896479.jpg

Eric? Hello?

462175143_379459fca4.jpg

Just beneath the bail point

462169064_14b741bf51.jpg

Fucking ice tool! On rappel…sort of.

462175457_222c9b3ef4.jpg

Edited by tvashtarkatena
  • Bamboozled 1