crossfit portland

BillA

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I do it but I do it on my own. sucks not having someone doing crossfit w/ me but it still kicks my ass. Just pick some WOD's from crossfit.com and start there. And practice new lifts at home w/ a broomstick. The crossfit message board can answer most questions too. I think it is the best program out there if you want to w/o for injury prevention, endurance, explosive power and all that fun stuff over just getting big with no benifits...

I've done a couple of the workouts with the class, it's fucking awesome. It's nice to have people to do the workout with and the instructor to correct form and everything. They actually offer three classes a week and it's 60 bucks a month for as many classes as you can make, so it's not to bad at all. It's a seriously badass program and at the end I always end up in the fetal position feeling like I'm going to die.

Crossfit is definately the way to go. The great thing about it is the flexibility of the workouts. Friends and I do it in a home garge climbing gym, incorperating the wall some, but mostly do it with weights, finger/campus board. The workouts of the day generally require little if any equipment, great when you don't have the space. A group of us have been doing it where I live for a few months and I am really sold on it. In combination with climbing long routes or full days cragging, it really seems to be the ticket. Check out www.gymjones.com for the full on approach to crossfit from climbers. Have fun, the workouts can be brutal.

I do it as well and it's been great. Kettleball sub with dumbell, box jumps onto the tailgate of a pickup truck, rings I made myself as per the website at about $5, subs for rope climb are on the site. Doesn't take much room, you just HAVE to have a pull-up bar and some dumbells.

Get after it as it's a great program!

cfire has it right. You don't need lots of equipment and lots of subs are listd on the crossfit site. Barbells and dumbells are probably essential, most everything else can be subed. Subs are listed on the website (in the FAQ and most of the time people will ask for appropriate sub in the days workout comments on the main site).

There are several gyms around as well as cf portland if you want to do the workouts as prescribed (some workouts use special equipment which most people or gyms don't have like ropes, glute/ham machines, dballs, medicine balls, rowers) and want the personal coaching from crossfit trainers. I definitly recommended visiting a CF gym if you are getting started as technique on lots of the movements can be easy to botch and cause injury if you aren't doing it right. Also the coaches there will be able to help get you ramped up without killing yourself in the process. Some gyms can be a bit pricy but once you find a coach who you work well with the return on investment is excellet. Besides crossfit portland of interest to the NW are

www.crossfiteastside.com (Redmond)

www.crossfitnorth.com (Sand Point)

www.crossfit.ca (Vancouver)

http://www.crossfitpc.blogspot.com/ (Pierce County)

http://www.rainiercrossfit.com/ (Puyallup)

Crossfit Mount Vernon/Skagit county (no website yet)

I know lots of the coaches at these gyms so if you want some more info let me know via PM. I workout at crossfit eastside and we've got a few other climbers there as well.

Edited by downfall

you don't build your own. you follow the posted workout on the crossfit.com, either the current one, or look through the archives and find 5 years worth of them. It is worth digging into the crossfit site itself to understand better how the ideas of periodization and resting work within the crossfit framework. That site is a better resource for your question than this one.

I kind of understand the main idea of crossfit, but can't find specific daily sequences, time,

periodization, rest periods and so on. Basically, how do I build my own cross-fit program if I want to follow it in the regular gym? Any advice?

Hi, Oleg; I think that, from what I've heard, it's 3 days on, one day off. Shoot Donn and email; I know he's involved, and could probably give you a pointer or two.

Oleg, I've been Crossfitting for just over a year now, am completely addicted to it, and over that time I've turned my barn into a pretty decent Crossfit home gym. All the advice above is right on. You're welcome to come out anytime and I can show you what gear you need and what the movements and workouts look like. I can even give you a set of homemade PVC rings - they take about 10 minutes to make. Any other PDX'ers interested in Crossfit are more than welcome. Shoot me a PM. Even if you don't want to adhere strictly to the 3 on/1 off workouts posted on the website, it's easy to incorporate CF into whatever other training you do once you understand the basic framework and approach.