The "I've been climbing for x-years" thread

catbirdseat

Cobra_Commander's post in Spray gave me an idea. I was torn between spray and being serious. Let the mods move this to spray if it goes that way.

So you hear people like RuMR all the time saying things like, "I've been climbing for 20 years", etc. with the implication that because of that you should accept whatever assertion they happen to be making. I submit that it has almost no bearing on the reliability of their opinions other than to show they were around when a particular event might have occurred. I mean, some people by climbing very intensely with a large variety of partners can in a short time acquire a great deal of knowledge, for example Distel and Layton. Others who climb only occasionally and always with the same partners may have many years of experience but end up with a very narrow view of what's the proper way to do things.

Only at the bottom he is confronted by a hoard of gaper stone rollers who spray about proper stone rolling technique and the ethics of gravity. The festering dialogue turns to "I have 30+ years of rolling stones and that's unsafe trundling...etc"

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

There are things you know you don't know, and there are other things that you are too clueless to know that you don't know. These are the Rumsfield "unknown unknowns" and its when they show up that you get into deep shit. Remember "it is the wise man who knows he is a fool."