Bouldery Starts

catbirdseat

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

so how about the 2nd pitch of godzilla, that seems like a bouldery start, meaning the first moves are significantly harder than the rest of the climb. however, this route is still rated by the difficulty of these moves, right? Could this maybe be because its a second pitch of something?

I think the interesting comparison is Thin Fingers vs Sloe Children.

For Thin Fingers, the move is way harder than the rest of the climb, and because it's just a few feet above a flat ledge, the likelihood of injury is low.

For Sloe Children, the move is not hard -- just balancy -- and is definitely easier than the several possible cruxes above. Seems to me like the risk of injury could be a little greater, as you're off to the side and your belayer is in the way too.

But in either case, the starts are uncharacteristic of the rest of the routes.

When I think "bouldery" or "boulder problem" I think steep, tweaky and tricky moves. And also, a sequence that is way easier once you get the trick figured out. And can you really call a crack bouldery?

As far as hard starts go, how about "Beak Beak Beak". Now there's a classic! Everyone I take up there loves that damn thing.

As far as "Thin Fingers ... the likelihood of injury is low", the way I heard it, that's where Paul Boving died (pitched off that move and hit his head).

And agreed, that Slow Children start is freaky, what with being right above the belay slings and what not (catch your heel and flip over, or seriously wrack your nuts on the chains, or smash your belayer, or ALL OF THE ABOVE!).

And the Zoom start, how the hell do you do that!? (without yarding on those convenient bolts Geek_em8.gif)

Chuck, I had heard that Boving died on Thin Fingers but never heard the details.

For me, the bouldery move is maybe three feet off the ground, highstepping and then standing on it. I can't do it, so I do the weenie right-side variation.

I suppose that without a hardhat, an unlucky fall, and maybe some weird stuff with the rope, a head could get fatally levered into the rock. Creepy.