Bouldery Starts

catbirdseat

One occasionally encounters the words "bouldery start" in guide books. Often this means that the opening moves are way harder than the rest of the climb. So for some reason, the climb gets rated based not on its hardest moves, but on the majority of the climbs not counting the start.

An example of this is Cat Burglar, 5.6 at Castle Rock, Tumwater Canyon. The rating is accurate if you don't count the first move.

Another example is Celestial Groove, 5.9, Pearly Gates, Icicle Canyon. The start is much harder than 5.9, in my opinion.

I'd like to start a discussion by asking what does "bouldery start" mean to you? Does it just mean "harder than the rest" or does it mean something else like "more steep" or tricky.

Can you come up with more examples?

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bring em on! laugh.gif I have a big crashpad.

Seriously though, with stick clips and other trickery, is there really a boulder start left?

Why should it be reflected in the grade of the route? I mean if you have a 1 move V2 off the ground and then a 5.7 crack above is it more accurate to call it 11a or 5.7 with a boulder start.

Bring em on! laugh.gif I have a big crashpad.

Seriously though, with stick clips and other trickery, is there really a boulder start left?

Why should it be reflected in the grade of the route? I mean if you have a 1 move V2 off the ground and then a 5.7 crack above is it more accurate to call it 11a or 5.7 with a boulder start.

It's a good thing that your 5.7 doesn't have a bouldery finish. It's okay if you can't get off the ground but a lot worse if you have to resort to aid or lower off because you can't finish.

By the way, how do you stick clip if there aren't any bolts?

Edited by catbirdseat

The start of the Bale Kramar is the hardest moves on the whole route IMHO "5.9+" yellaf.gif

Seems like there is a 5.10b in the Gorge (Hand Job?) with a pretty bouldery start...Mikey had to aid through tongue.gif

I've seen lots of parties fall off first few moves of Edible Panties ... I did it myself once while soloing blush.gif