Missing Climber - Roger Jung

Blake

Per a forward from Paul Klenke:

10/26/2005 - Roger Jung has been missing for three days and is believed to have been climbing in the Cascades. His family have issued a missing persons report. They are asking all hikers and climbers to let them know if they see Roger's car at a trailhead or on a forest service road: a 1990 red Jeep Cherokee, license number 421PDV. If you have any information, please contact Jim Jung at (425) 828-6201.

Roger is far right. Picture is several years old.

http://www.cascadeclimbers.com/plab/data/509/4427Copper_trio_at_top.jpg

Any idea where in the Cascades Roger was supposedly climbing?

On Saturday I passed a solo climber about the right age on his way in to climb Mt. Washington (Oregon) at 5:00 PM. He mentioned he was trying to bag all the Oregon volcanoes and only had Washington and 3FJ left. I thought it was a little odd to be heading up alone at dusk, but that's his prerogative.

Probably unrelated, but figure it's worth mentioning. Hope he's OK.

Cluck, Roger (pictured at right above) is 6'5". If the guy you saw wasn't that tall it wasn't him.

As for where in the Cascades, no telling, but it was probably for a more interesting area--i.e., N. Cascades and not S. Cascades.

His father told me it has only been three days since the missing persons report. However, the mail has been backing up at Roger's apartment for a month. So, without a mail stop initiated, he would be missing for about this long, or longer if a mail stop was initiated and ran out.

Here's some info from a KOMO story for everyone to keep in mind when they're out at the trailheads...

...Specifically, he's looking for Roger's red Jeep Cherokee that could be the key as to where police should start searching.

"If it's in a trail head, or a river valley then we would - they would - and I would be up there searching that trail area," Jim said.

This is the license plate number police are searching for is 421-PDV ...

I'm assuming those are WA plates.

-kurt

Yes, WA plates but that's not important. What's important is the lic. number matching with a red 1990 Jeep Cherokee. That is, it is unlikely there is the same type vehicle with the same lic. number from a different state.

It struck me that one could additionally search beside logging roads. If Roger drove off a road and crashed down an embankment or forest slope then of course his jeep would not be found at a trailhead.

From the article:

"Neighbors at the Everett apartment where Roger Jung lives haven't seen him for about a month. His mail piled up uncollected. His emergency contact was his parents, Jim and Gail Jung of Kirkland.

Because of tenant rights issues, they haven't been allowed inside their son's apartment to look for something that may aid the search, Jim Jung said."

This surprises me. It's a good idea for those of us who are single and renting to notify our landlords to give access to friends and family in the event of an unexplained absence, and/or give house keys to someone we trust.

I think if I were his family, I would risk a breaking and entering charge to look for clues he might have left to his plans when he last left home, in order to save his life, if that is what's at stake.

I hope he is OK and is found soon.

• 3 weeks later...

As a young kid this would be a stunt I would pull. I can imagine climbing just like my crazy assed scuba stunts...not telling anyone where I was heading. Was it the right thing to do? hell no.. but at the time I was all about me and adventure. I really do hope this story turns out alright.

• 2 weeks later...
Any idea where in the Cascades Roger was supposedly climbing?

On Saturday I passed a solo climber about the right age on his way in to climb Mt. Washington (Oregon) at 5:00 PM. He mentioned he was trying to bag all the Oregon volcanoes and only had Washington and 3FJ left. I thought it was a little odd to be heading up alone at dusk, but that's his prerogative.

Probably unrelated, but figure it's worth mentioning. Hope he's OK.

Im just reading this now, but that was me you ran into.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

No good news to report as of this week.

Roger's father sent a letter out saying that neither Roger nor his Jeep have been found. It doesn't look like he departed (his apartment) with climbing in mind since all of his gear was left behind. This doesn't mean he didn't go climbing after all (with other gear unaccounted for). It was really as if he (and his Jeep) just vanished.

It is a strange case, to be sure.

• 3 months later...

A partner and I followed on skis the approach of one of his vision-quest winter routes a few years after he led the way, solo on snowshoes. That trip was among the high points of my life; it felt like we were stealing something just by completing the approach.

Never met the man, but given the places he chose to go, he must have been a remarkable person to have known.

• Like 1