Link between Aspartame and Obesity?

catbirdseat

Anyone can go do an internet search of the two words "aspartame obesity" and come up with a large number of articles that purport that aspartame and related compounds, like monosodium glutamate, cause obesity because they are "excitotoxins", that is, they either kill brain cells or interfere with the appetite supression activity of serotonin in the brain.

Now my impression is that that the doses people are getting are low enough that toxic levels are not being achieved. On the other hand, I decided long ago, not to take any risk and avoid these sorts of products to the extent that I can.

I am curious as to what some of the voracious internet readers like Dru think about the whole issue.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

http://www.aspartame.com/lydon.htm

Dieting Without Aspartame?

In a cruel and ironic twist, aspartame may actually cause weight gain. Phenylalanine and aspartic acid, found in aspartame, stimulate the release of insulin. Rapid, strong spikes in insulin remove all glucose from the blood-stream and store it as fat. This can result in hypoglycemia and sugar cravings. Additionally, it has been demonstrated to inhibit carbohydrate induced synthesis of the neurotransmitter serotonin, which signals that the body is satiated. Inhibition of serotonin leads to food cravings, increased carbohydrate consumption and, ultimately, weight gain. In a recent study, a control group switching to an aspartame-free diet resulted in an average weight loss of 19 pounds.

http://www.aspartame.com/lydon.htm

Dieting Without Aspartame?

In a cruel and ironic twist, aspartame may actually cause weight gain. Phenylalanine and aspartic acid, found in aspartame, stimulate the release of insulin. Rapid, strong spikes in insulin remove all glucose from the blood-stream and store it as fat. This can result in hypoglycemia and sugar cravings. Additionally, it has been demonstrated to inhibit carbohydrate induced synthesis of the neurotransmitter serotonin, which signals that the body is satiated. Inhibition of serotonin leads to food cravings, increased carbohydrate consumption and, ultimately, weight gain. In a recent study, a control group switching to an aspartame-free diet resulted in an average weight loss of 19 pounds.

AsparLame. thumbs_down.gif

I cannot run away from High Fructose Corn Syrup. That stuff is in everything. At least it is a vegetable.

I feel your pain brutha, I hates that shit too. I read the ingredients on everything packaged that i buy, and it's so hard to avoid either HFCS or MSG that I wind up making things like vegetable stock from scratch.

From wikepedia:

Some believe that the approval of aspartame was influenced by conflict of interest. Donald Rumsfeld, a friend and political ally of Ronald Reagan, was chairman of Searle at the time when Reagan appointed defense department contractor Arthur Hull Hayes, the FDA commissioner who eventually approved aspartame. Hayes left the FDA in 1983 under fire for accepting corporate gifts and joined Searle's public relations firm as senior medical advisor.

Chronyism is so pervasive it affects what we eat.

I cannot run away from High Fructose Corn Syrup. That stuff is in everything. At least it is a vegetable.

I feel your pain brutha, I hates that shit too. I read the ingredients on everything packaged that i buy, and it's so hard to avoid either HFCS or MSG that I wind up making things like vegetable stock from scratch.

Try avoiding hydrogenated vegetable oil in any prepackaged food. Trans-fatty acids are all pervasive.

Yeah, there is a link between obesity and aspartame. Here it is.

Aspartame is in diet foods. Only obese people eat diet foods.

"Yeah, I'll have two big macs, a large fry, and a diet coke please".

Viola.

rolleyes.gif

Pretty much all of these nutrition-to-phenotype studies are bunk.