Need new used car, please advise

BillA

Okay, so I finally have to make a decision about my truck. It's a '93 dodge dakota with about 175,000 miles on it. It's got the V8 which means it gets like 13 miles to the gallon. I took it into the shop to get it looked at last week and they told me it's going to cost 1200 to fix it. The bluebook value is like $1800. So do I fix it or get a new used car? If I get a new used car what should I get? I want something thats all wheel drive but not necessarily a pickup, with decent fuel economy that will be reliable and hopefully not break down a whole lot. Any suggestions?

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There's a new 4x4 on the market that is entirely biofueled, improves in value with age, emits only organic waste and carbon dioxide, and gets great mileage. You never have to change the oil or the timing belt either. And it's based on proven technology that has been continuously in use in Europe since the turn of the millennium.

iptrot.jpg

Okay, so I finally have to make a decision about my truck. It's a '93 dodge dakota with about 175,000 miles on it. It's got the V8 which means it gets like 13 miles to the gallon. I took it into the shop to get it looked at last week and they told me it's going to cost 1200 to fix it. The bluebook value is like $1800. So do I fix it or get a new used car? If I get a new used car what should I get? I want something thats all wheel drive but not necessarily a pickup, with decent fuel economy that will be reliable and hopefully not break down a whole lot. Any suggestions?

general rule I have found toyotas and hondas break down less. toyotas break down less than hondas. New subies are breaking down more, but old ones are okay. good gas mileage is a smaller car. but you want all wheel drive.

based on your parameters I would go in this order: Toyota Rav4, Honda CRV, Subaru Forester. Better gas mileage of course is the stick rather than automatic.

You pay more at a dealer lot. Look in craigslist.com in your area for those vehicles.

Downside. smaller vehicle. But how often did you use your dakota to its fullest capacity?

I used an auto broker to find me a good used car at auction. I was turned on to him via some friends who did the same. You give him a vehicle type, year, and price. He has a potential one checked out when he finds it. It worked well for me. PM if interested for a number.

Modern automatics (since about 2001) get better gas mileage than stickshifts do.

Where'd you get that? I just went to the EPA website and checked out your claim. Most of the cars I looked at (all types), automatic is worse than or equal to stick shift economy. A couple of exceptions were the Subaru Outback and Honda Civic. Other than that, stick has its automatic counterpart beat by 1-2mpg.

I read it in some car magazine while on the shitter in a logging camp. yellaf.gif

Are those EPA website stats supplied by the manufacturers or based on their own tests? Cause based on morning traffic most of the idiots out there with stick shifts don't know how to drive let alone how to wring mileage out of the car with it thru efficient shifting. boxing_smiley.gif

I read it in some car magazine while on the shitter in a logging camp.

Before or after rubbing one out to the cover girl?

Edit: Clever dog, nice little stealth edit. Took you a few minutes to come up with a better response, eh?

Edited by Camilo