Hey you, Smarty

snugtop

What is your highest level of education?  

132 members have voted

1. 1. What is your highest level of education?

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

There are already enough idjits in the world doing that kind of work and dying without adding to the numbers.

And would you call, say, Jonas Salk's work on the polio vaccince "not real work and of less value than someone who knows how to operate a shovel"?

"I don't have time to sharpen my axe! I'm too busy chopping all this wood."

-Just a saying that I'm fond of FWIW.

The Tacoma paper did a story a couple months back about longshoremen making $100k per year! Some of them held masters degrees but found the hours/work/comradery on the docks more rewarding.

On the other hand, taxpayers finance a good share of higher education. I'm not sure to what extent they should expect a return on their investment.

A shovel eh? Quite a simple tool indeed; yet I've watched people beat themselves to death and get nothing accomplished because they couldn't figure out how to use it, or an equivalently simple tool, efficiently. shocked.gif

Stick you in front of an ion microprobe, you probably wouldn't know what to do with it either. wazzup.gif

Also, mistake in your pole, there is no difference between a Master's Degree and an MBA? An MBA is just a Master's in Business Administration? Geek_em8.gif

BTW, I have done that real work that AlpineK is mentioning. Grew up on an orchard. I've put in the long hours of physical labor. Now I have one of them masters, or is it two, I tend to lose track, anyway I now sit behind a desk wishing I was outside doing physical labor (well maybe not after a couple weeks of straight rain)

I used to work in oil fields. Good friend of mine used to put up drywall for a living and is now a college professor. Some who have PhDs are now doing good work with their hands. I guess, for some, the world is larger than the back end of a pickup truck.

Hah! My mom used to complain that the other ladies in her masters program were just seeking "MRS" degree...

no *Ms.* snuggies only has a bachelors...but one day she hopes to have a PhD. Or at least a Ph-balanced deoderant.

Mr. E: it's just a poll I thought up in the spur of the moment. I'm not implying that one can't get an education without a degree.

Also, mistake in your pole, there is no difference between a Master's Degree and an MBA? An MBA is just a Master's in Business Administration? Geek_em8.gif

You are correct, and I did consider that. But I guess I group the MBA in a different category than say, a Masters of Fine Arts or Russian History. It seems to be more of a professional degree.